Chapter 1: Emptiness

The air blew sweet in Hearthstone, paired with the stale-cold smile of morning. Arya arose to the gleam of the early sun, clenching the topaz snowflake-shaped brooch she got from her late father. "Just a few more days..." She folded her cover, made from the pelt of a direwolf, into a neat roll, laying it against the house whose shadow she sleeps in. She walked slowly to the apothecary, the sun warming her back. The shutters of the clinic opened, revealing a tall, dark man paying deep attention to his writing. Arya approached him casually, "Let's see, I want some dessicated herbs for my cold." The man, still writing, shook his head. "Dessicated herbs would help with a sore throat, but not..." He looked up, noticing Arya's snickering, "Very funny, Arya. Come on in."

"Playing jokes this early in the morning?" The man asked, organizing the vials and flasks of the apothecary. Arya smiled, "As always, Julio. Besides, you love it."
Julio chuckled, "What I love is progress and good business, now get to work."
Shortly afterward, a blonde-haired woman came in to the shop, "Bonjour, lovely people." She spun into a curtsy.
Julio sighed, "Bonjour, Gabrielle. Why do you make a habit of being late?" Gabrielle closed her eyes, as if she were about to say a couplet, "'Tis a trifle getting this beautiful every day, Julio. I'm sure you've already noticed." When she was done speaking, she struck a strange pose. Julio scoffed, "You're not even wearing makeup!"
Gabrielle gestured toward her extravagant updo, as if that's what she meant by "getting beautiful every morning" then tied an apron around her waist.
Julio was equally unimpressed, remember that she's had the same hairstyle for a month.

Apothecary work is good money in Hearthstone, as Arya learned from the increasing number of sickly people in the harsh winters of Hearthstone. She spent months observing the making of medicine until finally she learned it herself, or so she says. Deep inside, she respects Julio as her mentor. She spent just enough to afford food each day, the rest of her money she kept buried next to the rolled-up cot she slept on at night. The day at the apothecary passed like any other, some people buying medicine, others coming to associate with Gabrielle and Julio, then there was Fabrio, who only came to beg for gold. Arya collected her pay and left work, heading for the inn.

"Good evening, Arya. How was work?" Ulysses, the innkeep asked her.
"The same as always." Arya responded, sitting gold coins on the bar. "Only this time, I'm parched." Ulysses chuckled, "This is your first time actually ordering something. What's the occasion?"
Arya smiled, "I've extra gold, so I thought I'd spend it here. I'll have your most expensive juice!" The innkeep laughed heartily, and as requested, brought her a cup of harspud juice.

The night grew old. Arya frowned momentarily as the truth blew back at her, just as cold as the wind. She had to go back outside and sleep in the snow. As she approached the house she usually sleeps next to, she noticed her direwolf pelt was gone. "What a pity, 'twas a warm cover." She looked up, noticing an angry man with a sword in his hand, the owner of the house, pointing toward the streets. Arya only walked away, figuring she would come back for her gold later. She searched endlessly through the night, looking for a spot like the last, one that would protect her from the bitter howl of the winter nights. "C'est la vie," Arya said to herself, "Just a few more days."

In the blackness of the night, the stars shone their light upon a miserable lump, a 16 year-old girl holding her knees, shivering in the cold. "Who in the...?" A man's voice was heard, muffled by the snow. "Arya?" She looked up, her sight blurred by her half-sleep. Unable to move, she sat helplessly as arms cradled around her, almost firey compared to her frosty body. Her father's last words echoed, "Face your destiny with courage, so that whatever happens, you endure it with a smile." She opened her eyes, slightly jumping at where she found herself. It was warm, and shined yellow from the fireplace. "Finally awake? There's aught to eat in the kitchen." Julio said, laying on the floor.

As she ate, Julio sat at the table with her. "Pray, why didn't you say anything?" Arya remained silent as she drank a cup of water. "It matters not. Finish eating afore you come downstairs to work." Arya came downstairs a few minutes later. Gabrielle came in the apothecary posturing as always, Julio spent his time documenting his inventory. Fabrio ran to the counter. Julio took some gold from his coin purse, "Fabrio, will I ever give you enough gold? Here, now go along, we have business to attend to."
"Tis a dragon! A dragon! Everybody run for your lives!!" He ran away, but came back shortly afterwards for the gold, then ran away again. Julio sighed, "I think Fabrio's finally lost it." As he went back to his writing, screams echoed through the town.
"Dragon!!"

Gabrielle screamed hysterically, running in circles around the apothecary. Julio grabbed his sword and jumped over the counter, looking toward the sky. "Arya, Gabrielle. Get out of here." Gabrielle ran, Arya went back to find her gold. As she ran through the town, she heard the screeches and roars that of a dragon. She noticed the armory was abandoned, so she stole a crude shield and continued through the town. Arya found the spot she buried her gold, as she began to dig she heard a voice, "You!!" The man from the night before ran at her and swung his sword, "You worthless street urchin!" By instinct, Arya raised her shield, deflecting the old man's attack. As he stepped back, she kicked the man to the ground. "You.. vermi--"
-clang!- The bludgeoning of a shield knocked the man unconscious. Arya took a breath, a large shadow cast above her head. She looked up, a red dragon soared the sky, its body seeming to block the sun. As she looked into its eyes, she looked into the eyes of death itself. The red glow of its crimson optics inspired fear and hopelessness. Her vision was consumed by the blazing glare of dragonfire, she stood motionless at the sight of it.

She closed her eyes, silently accepting her ill fate. In what felt like a blink, her breath was taken by someone snatching her by her shirt. "Arya! What's wrong with you?" Julio said, taking her on his back. Arya looked back into the alley, the screams of the old man ringing through her ears. That was it, her dreams were burned along with him. As Julio ran, she closed her eyes. A tear fell down her cheek, and again her father's last words rang through her mind. "Face your destiny with courage, so that whatever happens, you endure it with a smile." Arya took Julio's sword and ran toward the town. "Arya!" Julio turned around, but a building collapsed in front of him. "Go, Julio!" Arya screamed, "And thank you for everything!" As she dashed through the rubble, all she could hear through the chaos was Julio screaming her name.

The dragon landed in the market place, unleashing its flames on everything in sight. As the smoke cleared, a man revealed himself to the dragon with a fire of his own in his eyes. The man's fists were clenched. "Dragon! Hear me!!!" The dragon turned toward the man, prepared for combat. The man reached in his bag and came out with a large pouch, "Dragons like gold, right!? I have loads and loads of it now please leave these people alone!"
There was a moment of silence.
"How about jewels? I know dragons like jewe-- oof!" The dragon swatted the man away, his body flung through the streets before hitting a wall.
-clang!- The dragon looked over as something hit his head. He looked down, noticing a shield was thrown at him.
"Haaaa!!!" A small, dark-skinned girl ran at the dragon, swinging her blade ruthlessly at his forelegs. "Ya! Ya, ya ya!" He again swatted her away, sending her into a wall.

The screaming of the public faded away, her vision became filled with blackness. Arya had faced her destiny with a smile. In the midst of this darkness, a loud cracking pain scorched through her body.
"This is it, isn't it? At least I'll be with you now, father. You, and mother, and Karel."