Chapter 5: Unity

"Where are you two headed?" Ace asked, staring at the campfire.
"We're off for the bordertown." Rei replied, cooking another piece of pork.
"So am I. It's a better idea to go together, especially because we're traveling afoot."
"There's aught to be accomplished as a group, and the extra hands in combat serve well a boon." Rei said, laying down.
The next morning, the group traveled the forests for the border town. Arya struggled to keep up with the two, who were well-used to extreme travel. Something felt amiss, something felt... wrong.

The border town was bustling. The marketplace was crowded and most of the inns were fully occupied. Ace was social and adaptable while Rei spent her time in the alehouse. Somehow, there were people that laughed louder than she did. Feeling awkward, Arya searched the town for a suitable place to buy a shield. During her search, she came across an apothecary clinic. She approached the counter slowly afore hearing, "What do you mean 'why am I late!?' 'Tis a trifle getting this beautiful every day, ser!"
"Whate'r. Just make sure to tend to our customers, aye?"
The blonde-haired woman came to the counter. Arya smiled, "You aren't wearing makeup."

Gabrielle squealed, "Oh, Ayane! You've come back to me!"
"My name is Arya."
"Whatever, Ambrosia. It's nice to see you again!" Gabrielle reached over the counter, hugging Arya. "So how are you?"
Arya looked around, hoping no-one saw what just happened, "I'm alright. I'm actually looking for a shield." Gabrielle began sitting medicines and curatives on the counter. "Take these and move along." Arya stared awkwardly. "Hurry up~" Gabrielle spoke in a sing-song tone. Arya quickly stuffed the curatives in her bag.
"Nice doing business with you, Avril," the blonde-haired apothecary said, before whispering to her, "Stay alive."

Arya resumed searching for the armory, when a quiet voice whispered from the crowd, "It's south of here, my lady."
Arya began walking, "My tha-- wait, who are--?" She saw only the crowd again. After searching the crowd for a bit, she began walking north.
"Tis.. 'Tis south, my la--"
"Ha!" Arya grabbed a slightly shorter girl with blue-grey eyes and caramel-colored skin. Her hair was in a short pale-blonde pixie style with medium-length bangs. She wore a white cloak with a grey jerkin with a dark skirt underneath.
"Who are you?"
The girl raised her hand, revealing a glowing symbol on her palm. Arya's scar glowed, dealing a small awkward feeling to her chest. "I'm your pawn."

"My.. what?"
The girl tilted her head, "Your pawn, my lady. We.." As the girl spoke, a number of citizens in the crowd joined her while raising their right hands.
".. Members of the Pawn Legion swear fealty to you. We live and die by your command."
Man, woman and child alike, they spoke in union and stared with different expressions but all equally empty. Arya turned around, stepping back slowly before running away. She made it back to the inn and shut the door behind her. Ace was sitting at the counter, "Arya. It's nothing to be afraid of. We must be able to stand together if we're to defeat the dragon." She turned around, Ace grabbed her wrist, placing her hand on his chest. She stopped, suddenly. "You.. as well?" She asked, stunned. Ace smiled, "Yeah. Now get some rest before we head to Gransys."