Chapter 6: Vigilance

A shield lie next to Arya as she slept, blue, in the shape of a tear with the red mark of a chimera in the middle. Arya opened her eyes, "Wha, who is---?"
"'Tis yours, ser Arisen."
Arya shrieked and fell off the bed, pointing her sword at the dark girl from behind a bedsheet. "Why must you act like that!?"
"Act like what, Arisen?"
"And stop talking like that!"
"Talking like what, my lady?"
"Gah! Get out while I change!"
The two sat at a table in the inn, staring each other down. "So what's your name?" Arya asked, sipping a cup of water.
"This pawn is called Ceres, ser Arisen." She looked at Arya with her head tilted, causing her pale blonde bangs to shift. Her glare was hollow and blank. Arya stared her down, examining her dark blue garb, wondering what could be going on with this peculiar stranger.
"What's your favorite color?" Arya asked, hoping to catch her off guard.
"Whatever you want my favorite color to be."
Arya choked on the water she was drinking. "Well.. uhm.. is there aught you like to do?"
The pawn straightened her back, "Whatever you want me to like to do, Arisen."
Arya slowly pressed her forehead against the table.
"Come you two, we have to head to Gransys 'ere long." said Rei, coming from the back. Ace was waiting outside with his equipment packed up.

The party headed to the border, a long bridge still packed with a large number of people. "Oi, guard what's the hold up?" Asked Ace, impatiently.
"Gransys's walls are closed to all but government officials. Now piss off, commoner."
Ace pushed people aside, slamming the guard against the wall, "Are you trying to die?"
"Take him away!" The guard said. A number of soldiers marched from the wall, arresting Ace. "No use strugglin'!"
Rei, Arya and Ceres waited patiently outside the crowd as Ace was thrown out. "Hey watch where you're grabbi-- oof!"
Arya leaned down, "Are you alright, pervert?"
Ace rolled over, "Foolish girl, that was part of my plan." Rei burst into laughter. Ace stepped back, "What!?" Rei continued laughing. Ace dusted himself off, "What's so funny, huh?"
Rei uttered a long sigh, "I wish I had a gold piece for every time someone said that."
Ace scoffed, "Anyways, I found out there's a border that unites Gransys, Voldoa and Hearthstone that's open for travel. I vote we head there."

They traveled fast during the day, making only pit stops. Night seemed to sweep over the land, forcing them to halt their trek. "Criminy, this air is cold." Ace said, holding his shoulders.
Arya stared at the sky, "The cold air is from central Hearthstone. Though Hearthstone's edges are warm, her center is covered in snow for most of the year."
Ace looked away, "Screw it, I'm digging a hole."
Rei made a fire, "Arya, you aught rest. You have a difficult journey ahead of you."

Arya woke up with a pair of arms around her. "Ah!" she turned around, kicking the person away, "I knew you were a pervert, back off!"
Ace's head came from under the grass a few feet away, "Huh wha?"
Arya looked over, noticing her pawn with a footprint on her face. "Maker have mercy, I'm so sorry, Ceres."
Ceres stood up, "I woke up in the middle of the night and noticed you were shivering, my lady. I had to keep you warm." Ace's head went back underground, Arya looked into Ceres's eyes as she rubbed her cheek. "Are you pleased with me, ser Arisen?" The pawn asked, meekly.
The Arisen shuddered and rolled back over, "Ceres, I command you to act more like Ace." Hours later they were walking the fields, nearing the border town.
Ace stopped, "Don't go any further. That's Saurian I smell."
"What's 'Saurian?'" Asked Arya.
"A 6-foot tall lizard with sharp teeth."
"Well that's not so sca--"
"With spears."
Arya became silent.

They trodded slowly through the field, trying to remain quiet. The grass was fertile, so it didn't crackle under their feet. All was perfectly silent until
-achu!-
A huge reptile jumped from thin air at Ceres. She rolled out of the way, causing the beast to stab the ground. "Ceres, what the heck!?" Ace exclaimed. "Arya, prepare for combat." Ceres rolled back, shooting a number of arrows into the sky. Arya ran at a saurian with her shield, but was pushed back. Another saurian approached them, Arya and Ceres were back-to-back as a volley of arrows seemed to burst from the clouds, raining down on their attackers. Arya stared in awe as the creatures were only stunned by the arrows that pierced their backs. "Attack, now!" Ceres exclaimed. Arya stepped forward, dashing at the enemy with an explosive strike. As she neared it, the beast blocked her assault, shoving her to the side. It approached her, spear in-hand. Arya raised her shield, blocking the saurian's rain of blows. Ace stepped in, landing four spinning kicks at the saurian's head. As it hit the ground, he picked it up and threw it at another saurian.

"We gotta run, there are too many of these freaks!" Ace said, grabbing Arya and running. Ceres followed, shooting arrows at the beasts. They ran to a small collection of abandoned buildings. After a while, Arya grew anxious. "What is the matter, ser Arisen?" Ceres asked.
Arya stared out the window, "Where's Rei?"
Ace stepped in and closed the door. "Rei left early this morning. I know her just as well as you do, so I'm stumped." Arya was saddened, but decided not to worry about it. She looked back, "Ceres why are you staring intently at my butt?"
Ceres looked up, "You told me to act more like Ace." Ace bursted into laughter, Arya only sat in silence. "Something wrong, my lady?"
"Ceres, are you sick?" Asked Ace, approaching her with a clean cloth. Ceres nodded, "I was unable to keep myself warm last night, but it is a worthy sacrifice for the Arisen." Arya shuddered, Ace scratched his head, "Well make sure to rest well. Your sneeze could've killed all of us."