Chapter 16: Grit

"It's.. gone!?" Asked Arya, frantically.
"Yes, Arisen. I make sure to check all your belongings while you sleep. I'm certain your brooch isn't there."
Arya leaned over, resting her head on her palm. After a few moments of silence, she began rubbing the bed. "For all happiness comes a consequence."
"What?"
Arya looked at her now-sweaty and worn out garments, pausing at the bloodstains on her sleeves. What was once a pretty blue white-striped skirt was now a memoir of bloodshed.
"I bought some clothes for you, Arisen. However I'm afraid they're naught useful for combat."
She handed her a thick multiple-threaded white shirt, held together with woven leather. Arya put it on, and was surprised at the sturdiness of the cloth. As she pulled up her shorts, she paused. "Those cutpurses! Come, Ceres!"
"Finish pulling up your shorts first, Arisen!"

Arya yawned as she walked down the stairs. The lobby of the inn was full of talk about a Cyclops attack of some sort. As she and Ceres squeezed their way past the crowd, she was able to pick out a different conversation.
"Tis but a measly 500 coin, ser." A haughty feminine voice spoke from the lobby.
"We agreed on 1,000 to escort you here!" Spoke a man's voice, clearly irritated.
Arya peeked in from the dining room. The woman had long volumous blond hair and wore an orange figure-fitting dress and dark stockings. She leaned flirtatiously, "Are you absolutely certain? I may not survive with such a hefty price!"
The man raised his fist, "You're the one that suggested it!" He had mid-length black hair and misty-green eyes.
The woman turned away, "Typical disregard for a maiden in distress!"
He stroked his mustache, "I'd hear of this another time. For now, I want my agreed-upon wage." She handed him a weighty coin-purse.
She looked over to Arya, "Well, hello, fair lady. You look the strong type. Care to escort me to yon' encampment? Surely you've heard of me, Madelaine, the best peddler in all the lands?"
Arya was captivated by her large breast, sensually bulging from her top. She quickly looked away, "No, the best peddler in all the lands is called Reynard. You're just a con-artist. Besides, I'm busy locating some thieves."
The man looked over, "Thieves, you say? I saw some mysterious figures scurry into the well last night."

Ceres looked at the man blankly, "You certainly don't look like a knight of Gransys."
"I certainly am not. I am Ser Jean of Abalon. Squire to Captain Belec." He took one knee. As he swished back and forth in the air searching for Ceres's hand, she grabbed his and kissed it.
"Well met, ser squire."
He froze, "Maker's grace! What are you doing?"
"So you're all just going to ignore me!?" Fussed Madelaine.
Jean looked at her, then back at Arya. "And your name?"
"I am called Arya. I'm an adventurer!"
Jean laughed, "Interesting. What did you want with those people?"
"They stole something precious to me. I must get it back."
He stroked his black mustache, "Could I tag along? I'm on a journey of training and could use all the battle I can get a hold of."
Arya nodded, "Ah, my thanks ser. However if you try to steal what's mine I will kill you."
Jean chuckled, "Ahaha, no need to worry about that, I assure you."
They walked to the well under the night sky where a knight from the capital sat fast asleep. "Oaf," Jean said as he removed the wooden board from the top of the well. "I'll go first." The night air howled around them as they watched the knight descend.  Arya and Ceres followed him. Below was a dark and dank cavern. It smelled of murky water and a bit of alcohol. Ceres took point, drawing her bow. They approached a forked pathway, littered with rats and shredded carcasses.
"Tis not the work of a sword, Arisen." said Ceres, examining the torn beasts.

Arya rested her hand on her hip, standing before the two paths. Both pitch-black in darkness. "The hard part is deciding which way to go, it seems."
"It barely makes sense to split up. And look how dark it is here." Inserted Jean.
Ceres suddenly paused, raising her finger, "I've got it!"
"AYYOOOO!!!" She screamed down the right path.
"What the--? Do you fancy the thought of being discovered by these people?" Said Jean, drawing his sword.
"AYYOOOO!!!" screamed the pawn, down the left path.
-oh!-
-oh!-
"The right path is a dead-end, Arisen." Ceres said.
"Good work, Ceres!" Said Arya.
Jean walked forward, fastening a lantern to his side. "Still, 'tis better to stay cautious."

They continued down the left pathway, Arya was careful to dodge the suspicious drips of the cave. To their left was a watery pit, as black as night. Rocky stalactites met the stalagmites, forming what looked like the maw of a mighty beast. The smell of water quickly turned into the smell of rotting flesh. Ceres pulled out a lantern, lighting it. "I'll leave this here to warn others."
Arya began walking faster, the stench fueling her stride. They quickly approached a cliff, below was yet another pit of water, only this one much larger. There was a bit of land along the edges and an enormous rock formation in the center of the pit. Arya descended slowly, Jean followed with his sword drawn.
They walked cautiously, staying close to the slippery stone walkway.
A loud shrill echoed through pit. Arya turned around quickly, "I knew it!"
She slashed her blade skyward, a saurian's blood spat against the watery surface.
The beast went reeling to the side, shrieking loudly.
Jean raised his blade, and cracked it downward into the reptile's belly. After a few seconds, the sword glowed blue and froze the monster.

A group of saurians emerged from the water. Jean steadied his icy sword and buckler, and dashed at the first creature. Arya leapt forth, taking a gallant slash only to be stuffed by the creature's tough hide.
She leapt back, "It's as I thought, their underbellies are unprotected."
Ceres fired arrows from the ledge, knelt over to preserve her accuracy. Jean parried the blows of the saurians' spears with his shield. A saurian lunged forward at Arya, she dodged and raised her blade "Die, beast!"
With a heavy slash of her blade she hacked the monster's tail off. It shrilled wildly as it wriggled in pain. Ceres finished it with three swift arrows.
Jean cut down his foe with ease, freezing it after a few strokes of his blade.
The creatures' numbers dwindled, they circled the swordsman slowly, looking for their chance to strike. A saurian impatiently dashed at Arya, she quickly slashed its neck, and jumped toward the other one. She landed in a roll, popping up behind it. She and Jean attacked in unison, swiftly dispatching the monster. The other saurians stepped back slowly before quickly shuffling away.

Ceres leapt down, "Are you unharmed, master?"
Arya nodded, then hurried to Jean, who was sheathing his magick blade. "Your sword..!"
Jean scratched his head, "Ahaha, yes. The Almace."
She marveled at the glowing blue sword, "I've only heard legends of enchanted weaponry."
They came to a door made of iron bars. It was locked with a thick wooden block.
Ceres paused at it, "Tis locked."
"Step back," said Arya. As Ceres separated from the door, Arya took a powerful chop at the wood, hacking it in half.