Chapter 2: Awakening

Arya awoke in an unknown place, her body wrapped entirely. "Greetings, girl." An elderly woman in dark blue robes approached her, "Have some tea." Arya looked at the woman apprehensively. She was a short woman with sun-burned skin, and long white hair wrapped elegantly around a hairpin. "Don't worry, if there were aught to be gained from killing you, you would've been dead already." The woman said, with a frighteningly casual smile. Arya took the tea, drinking it slowly. The elderly woman left the room, although her words echoed through her house, "I am called Morwen. Pray, make yourself at home."

Arya got up, noticing a pile of neatly folded clothes next to the wall, as she approached them Morwen chimed in, "By the way, the clothes are yours." In the pile was a quilted wool jerkin and a blue-and-white skirt. Her brooch lie neatly on top. After changing, Arya walked into the den, where Morwen was sitting. The elderly woman gestured for Arya to sit down, "Are you surprised you're still alive?" Arya said nothing. Morwen smiled, "You don't feel any different?" Again, Arya remained silent. "Ah well. Do me a favor and go to the market, won't you?" Arya extended her hand slowly, Morwen placed a coin purse in it. "I want a sword. Fetch me the shiniest one they have." Arya was confused by her request, but said nothing, seeing how Morwen was already a strange woman.

She walked oustide, and an aching pain filled her body. She clasped her chest. "If you would face me..." A dark voice sounded in her mind, "Take up arms, newly Arisen!" Arya stumbled, feeling dizzy for a moment. There was a large, open field separating the woman's house from the city. The sun shone bright on the land, the snow of her hometown seeming more and more distant. The clothes she wore felt foreign and strange as she looked down at the dyed plated-metal boots she wore. She had never worn a skirt before due to the cold of Hearthstone, and armor was even greater of a difference. She walked to the city, arriving at the gate. "Well 'ello, pretty thing. Trying to get in, are you?" One of the guards said, in a drunken tone.
Arya stepped back, "Ugh. I'll find another way in."
The guard grabbed her shirt, "I want a kiss." Arya turned around, punching the guard in his face. "Ooh, I like them feisty." His bleeding mouth making his advances even more unsettling. "Sodden fool, step aside!" A staturely man in black armor grabbed the guard by his neck, picking him up with one hand.
"Who are--?"
The man threw the guard aside. Arya approached him, "Thank you, ser knight."
"I am no knight. I'm just annoyed by scum like him," The man replied. He turned to the other guard, "Open the gate, or I'll have you and your friend executed for drinking on the job." The strange black-clad knight shifted his cape and continued into the city.

Arya walked the city for a while, looking for the smithy. A girl approached her, "Tis that way, milady," her soft voice adorned a small pointing hand.
Arya began walking, "Thanks-- wait, how did you --?" She turned around and the girl was gone. She arrived at the blacksmith's shop. "Uhm, hello." The blacksmith came to the counter, his skin covered in soot.
"What do ya need?"
Arya stepped back, coughing from the smoke. "I'm looking for a sword." The blacksmith left and came back with a large blade. Arya stared at it, aware that she wouldn't be able to carry it, "Do you have anything particularly... Shiny?"
The blacksmith chuckled, "They're masterworks, all. You can't go wrong." He left again, and returned with a broadsword. Arya handed Morwen's coin purse to the blacksmith. A few moments passed. "You're short, little lady," said the blacksmith, counting her coin. Arya searched her pockets, realizing she still had her last salary.
"Morwen, you cheap hag!" She thought to herself. Arya gave the money to the blacksmith, and took the sword.

The walk back filled her with a confusing emptiness. She stepped absentmindedly into a light wood, and in an instant strange ominous snickering filled the vicinity. Arya became quickly outnumbered by goblins, short creatures with burned red skin. They made strange noises and brandished spiked clubs. One of them leapt at her, she kicked it in the stomach and ran away.
"Nyaa! Stupid human!" The creatures began to chase her. Arya panicked, feeling encumbered by the sword but too afraid to drop it. She stopped running, hiding behind a large tree. She breathed heavily, clenching the sword. When she caught her breath, she noticed a large stone coming toward her. She rolled out of the way, amazed that the stone created a dent in the tree. Before she knew it, she was surrounded by beasts.