Chapter 18: Efficacy

"Prepare to die, pawn!" Pulse chased Ceres up the grove.
The pawn paused, looking down at the assassin with her bow drawn.
Pulse smiled, breathing a bit heavier than before from running uphill. "Any last words, girl?"
The small valley had two rises in the land along its sides. The red sun rose from behind Ceres and shined brilliantly from the top of the hill.
Pulse covered her eyes from the stinging light. In seconds she was pelted by multiple arrows.
"Bloody hell..!"
She fell back, and Ceres tackled her to the ground. "Get off me, you worthless, hollow-- ughh!"
Ceres pressed the arrow deeper into her, pinning her to the ground before running back downhill.
After a bit of struggle, Pulse stood and yanked the arrow from her clavicle, and drew her stalwart black bow. She turned around slowly as the light of the sun left her back. A huge boulder came at her at full speed, grumbling louder and louder as it descended down the hill. In moments the rock crumbled against her body, the breaking of Pulse's bones was heard for yards.

"Ceres! You're hurt!" Said Arya, hurrying to her injured pawn as she walked down the grove.
Ceres looked down at the arrow, and broke the back of it off. "Tis quite painful, Arisen."
Jean grabbed the arrow by the tip protruding from her back.
"If we leave this here, it could get infected."
Ceres said nothing, she sat quietly as blood streamed from her wound.
"The chaffstem!" Arya said, "Hurry and pull it out!"
Jean quickly yanked the arrow from Ceres's body, she weakly fell to her knees as he threw it on the ground. Arya quickly stuffed a ground herb in the small wounds. Jean holstered his sword, "She needs rest... Ser Arisen."
Arya said nothing, only nodding.
A small man in dark red robes approached, mumbling sinisterly to himself. Arya, Jean, and Ceres looked at him awkwardly.
He looked around at the dead assailants. "You actually managed to defe--?" He paused, and started chuckling, "Well then. Another time, dear Arisen." He turned back around and walked away.
"Wait!" Said Jean, "Who are you?"
"The Harbinger of Paradise."
By the time Jean came around the curve, the robed man was gone.

"How are you feeling, Ceres?" Asked Arya, stroking the pawn's cheek as her eyes.
"I am injured, Arisen. You were there, remember?"
Arya froze completely, "You..."
"Those foreign mercenaries sure pack some good food!" Said Jean, outside the tent. "Delicious. You can really taste the Southron Oregano in every bite, and the mushroom pottage is a perfect accessory to the blend of flavors."
Arya came out, "If you have food, shouldn't you have offered some?"
He smiled, "Of course, ser Arisen. Of course I wouldn't step into a lady's tent."
She raised an eyebrow, "Oh. Well whate'r. Did you see a topaz brooch on any of those ruffians?"
Jean looked into space, "No, I didn't. But if I did see aught I would've surely kept it for myself." He looked down, noticing Arya staring at him with murderous intent.
"What? Oh. Oh that was.. Ohh.. Well no, I saw nothing of the sort, I assure you."
Arya squinted at him, "Anyways, what you're eating is a Hearthstone dish. Don't you forget that." She turned away and went back in the tent.
"Wait so am I invited in?"

"By the way, thank you, ser knight." Said Arya, from the other side of the tent.
"Hm? For what?" Responded Jean, opening one eye.
"For saving me. I didn't get the chance to search those bastards for my brooch, but I'm still alive thanks to you."
Jean laughed, "That's funny. I was just thinking to myself about certain I was that you'd be safe even if I weren't there."
Arya rolled over and yawned. "I'll have a reward for you in the morning."
His eyes widened, "Wait what? What do you mean?"
"Sleep well, ser knight."

The next morning, Jean hopped awake. "Reward.. As if I'm some common ruffian. I'm a knight! To do good is a reward in itself." He chuckled as he folded his arms, "I could never take a maiden's innocent ki--"
"Ser Jean?"
He plopped back down and closed his eyes. Suddenly, Arya's small warm hand came around his shoulder. He arched his brow, groaning slightly. As he turned his head away to secretly lick his lips.
Arya turned him over, "I bought some Festival pie. I saved half of it for you... Why are your lips poked out like that?"
Jean's eyes popped open, making him look like a surprised fish. "Oh, ah yes. Yes you see in Abalon we poke our lips out to catch good dreams."
"That.. Doesn't..."
"Ooh, pie! My thanks, Ser Arisen." He took the half pie and began eating quickly.

Arya slowly peeled back the bandage she had over Ceres's wound. The injury was completely closed, there was only dried-up blood and ointment. She gazed at her pawn's sleeping face, adorned beautifully with thick black eyelashes and blush-colored lips on her hash brown skin.
She noticed the roots of her pale-blonde hair was dark brown.
"Dye...?"
Ceres rolled over, "Hello, Arisen. Is aught the matter?"
Her eyes that were once a misty green were now a grayish blue color.
"Ceres, I noticed you're quite the beauty."
She smiled, "My thanks, Arisen."
"I don't call you 'pawn.' Don't call me 'Arisen.'"
The pawn turned away quickly, "Don't.. Say such things, I.." Arya turned her back around, her hand lightly upon her cheek. She smiled st her, "Since when do you tell me what not to do, Ceres?"
The pawn's eyes widened, "My apologies.. Arya.."
"Does this mean that pawns have some sort of healing ability?" Asked Jean, lightly patting his mustache with a handkerchief.
"I would assume so," said Ceres, seeming equally surprised at her swifty recovery. She easily wiped the blood from where the arrow used to be.