Chapter 4: Inheritance

"Touch your heart, Arya. What do you notice?" Morwen spoke calmly, her silver hair shining brightly in the light of the sun. Arya ran her finger over her chest, tracing an enormous scar. "I feel... a wound."
Morwen grimaced, "Pay more attention." Arya pressed her hand against her scar, and stopped suddenly. During her pause, a tear rolled from her eye. "What's wrong with me, Morwen?"
The elderly woman grabbed Arya's hand, "You have been chosen as the dragon's opponent."
Arya pulled away, "Why does my heart not beat!?"
"You have no heart! The dragon took it!" Morwen replied sharply, ".. and it's your responsibility to win it back." Arya stepped back, "Does this mean... I'm going to die?"
Morwen chuckled, "Actually, it's the exact opposite. You will know not sickness nor age. You can however, be slain in combat. Which is why you must become strong."

Arya looked at Rei, who was playing with butterflies, then back at Morwen, "Then I won't face him. I've no need to become strong, if I can just stay here and take care of you." Morwen frowned, "You are correct. But if you don't slay the dragon, it will continue to kill people. It will continue to wreak havoc on the world, destroying families, destroying dreams.." Arya's eyes widened, Morwen continued, "Destroying beloved ones." Tears rolled from Arya's eyes. Julio's voice rang through her ears, calling her name.
"I'll do it. Not for revenge, but to cease this endless cycle of death and sadness."
Morwen took from her pocket, Arya's brooch. "The dragon flew toward Gransys. Travel with your new friend, and together you will become strong." Rei and Arya set out with a new goal, a new dogma.

The first night of travel came all but too quickly, the cool breeze under the moon seemed to swirl around Arya. "You know, Rei. Thanks for traveling with me. I'm sure a warrior like yourself has better things to do, but you've chosen to accompany me. I think somehow, everything will be alright." She looked over, surprised to see Rei fast asleep and snoring loudly. Arya chuckled and laid down.
"You're welcome, girl."

The two traveled constantly through the forests, able to move fast with the trees blocking the sun. Rei hunted wild boar to eat, and Arya collected herbs. "Keep this with you," Rei said, handing her a pouch.
"What is it?" asked Arya.
"Just trust me on th---" Rei stopped suddenly. "Do you hear that?" Arya stared blankly. "Never you mind, hurry up and eat." Arya took another bite and they ran toward the sound of yelling.
"Looking for trouble?" A ragged man with a dagger in-hand asked a hooded traveler.
Arya's eyes widened, "A highwayman!"
Rei shushed her.
"Fall back, fool. You'd really let these punks down if you turned up on your back," The man replied soundly, removing his hood, revealing a face with yellowish skin and a beard that connected to his sideburns. He had high cheekbones, and his eyes were slim and fierce. His thick black eyebrows furrowed as he gritted his teeth.

"Get him!" The highwayman yelled. Three bandits approached the traveler slowly, then one ran at him from behind.
-shick!-
The traveler moved swiftly, cutting even the wind as he disposed of his attacker. The fight was over in swift movements, dashing in between each foe with ease. The bandit leader jumped down from a boulder, "That one!" A large wolf jumped at the traveler, biting his arm, forcing him to the ground. Another group of bandits went in for the kill. The vagrant punched the wolf in the face and stood up.
"Die, bastard!" A bandit swung his blade at the traveler, but his attack was deflected. The traveler jumped on the bandit's back and slashed his throat.

"Arya, you know the object I told you to keep with you?" Rei asked, sharply.
The traveler turned around, seeing two women run out of the blue. One was small and dark, the other was large and pale. The swing of the pale woman's hammer was fierce as it connected with a bandit, sending him flying back. The smaller girl ran awkwardly toward a bandit, throwing the pouch at him.
-boosh!-
With a small mid-air explosion, the bandit flew to the ground. Arya shrieked and fell back. The other bandits paused for a bit, and ran away. The two women approached the bearded man.
"Thanks for the assist," the man said, searching the bodies.

He extended his arm to Rei, "The name's Ace."
The warrior-woman pulled Ace to his feet. "Much obliged. I'm Rei, and this is my page, Arya." Ace's eyes traversed Rei's figure, adorned with an obvious amount of muscle. She was neither tall or short. Her body was solid, the lack of definition only emphasizing her features. He also examined Arya, who although was a normal-sized girl, seemed tiny next to Rei. She had dark skin and slightly larger breast than the powerfully-formed woman she walked next to.
"A lot of guys are perverts, but can you at least be clever with it?" Arya said.
Ace studdered for a bit, "It's nothing like that. A woman's figure is good to assess her fighting experience."
Arya scoffed, unimpressed. "You could just ask about combat experience." Rei laughed at the exchange.