Chapter 26: Impact

"In areas like this, 'tis best to hug the slopes," warned Rei, as she holstered her massive hammer.
"Why?" Asked Arya, curious as per the usual.
"Large beasts roam the open fields," inserted Ike. Arya continued, silently remembering how she's most often traveled in tight areas. The fields of Gransys more often than not hosted many a beast, and this grove was no different.
The group sidled the mountainside, passing through a strangely wooded area where the trees seemed dead although the ground beneath them was lush and green. Ike had a happy look on his face, Arya wondered which between he and Han Na was actually a pawn. The group continued quietly through the grove before approaching imposing rocky battlements with an equally intimidating fortress in it. Mercedes rested her hands on the handle of her rapier, "Here we are, friends. I thank you for your service."
Ike stood next to her, "Yes, and we appreciate your patronage." He cleared his throat and looked around awkwardly.

"Who goes there?" Asked a guard from atop the battlements. A couple of Gran Soren archers drew at his side.
"Mercedes Marten," replied the princess. They looked at each other, and the first guard gestured toward the fortress. The gate opened slowly, and two armed soldiers came out - one carrying a sizely coin purse. Mercedes gestured to Arya, and he handed the coin purse to her. "Our thanks, mercenarie." They joined Mercedes's side and awaited her entry.
Mercedes handed her shield to Arya, "This Lustrous Targe will repel all blows, friend. Pray, use it well." She then placed a strange stone in her hand, "Safe travels, Arisen."
Rei looked at the object as Mercedes entered the Shadow Fort. "That's a good tool, girl. However, this is where I part."
"So quickly?" Asked Arya, holstering her sword. "I haven't even a chance to show you how strong I've gotten."
Rei turned around and walked away, "You being alive is proof enough. 'Twas good to see you in good health, girl. We will see each other again."

Ike watched Rei walk into the distance, thoroughly confused. He looked over quickly, almost as if he forgot his thought and huddled over Arya's clasped hands. "A ferrystone! That will prove quite the boon."
Arya stared at Ike blankly, "What does it do?"
"Tis a trifle, compared to a rock that's been spotted 'round 'ere," chimed in one of the Shadow Fort guards. "They say it shines like a Wyvern's Tear."
Ike looked up in excitement, "Maker's mustache, sounds like a right fancy... Ruby?"
The guard chuckled, "Twas an opal, lad! Blue as a sunny sky, 'twas!"
"Opal shines in an array of colors," inserted Arya, watching the ferrystone shine in the sunlight.
The guard chuckled, "Oh, no lass. Blue as the sea, for true."
Arya smiled, "Oh, well in that case it could quite well be a topaz."
The guard rubbed his neck, chuckling "Well I've learned aught n--"
"Wait!" Exclaimed Arya, causing Ike to jump. "Where did you see this stone?!"
"I've only heard rumors.. They say 'tis  in the 'ands of the Goblin King."

Arya turned toward Ike, "What do you know about this?"
Ike shrugged, "Well this is goblin territory. While I wouldn't imagine them having a king, I don't rule it out."
Arya thumbed her chin, "So the beast does roam these parts. Ike let's hunt it!"
"Whoa, Arya. There's naught two people can accomplish against an army of goblins, Arisen or no." Said Ike, making a calming motion with his hands. "We should journey back to Gran Soren to enlist help."
"Tis a long and vexing trip back," replied Arya, slightly distressed.
Ike opened his hand to her, "Not necessarily. Give me the stone."
She placed the stone in his hand, then he tossed it in the air above them. The ferrystone bursted and rays of light enveloped the two. The light was so bright, Arya couldn't keep her eyes open. A shiver went up her spine, and when she opened her eyes she was back in Gran Soren.

"Quite the feat, no?" Asked Ike. "Come on, let's get back to the Inn." He walked ahead, smiling.
Arya was baffled, yet amazed as she looked around. She found herself in the Craftsman's quarter, a place she had only heard ill about. There was a small neighborhood of weathered houses, but the majority of the quarter consisted of crops.
They walked up a rise in the land, arriving at a heighty stone arch leading to the Urban Quarter. Arya felt proud walking through the streets of the capitol. Han Na was talking to Mason, who was casually tossing a dagger. She giggled cutely, covering her mouth as she smiled, and opened her eyes widely right before laughing like every punchline excited her beyond mention. "She's so.. Human," stated Arya in awe.
"Tis quite the chore," replied Ike. "I told her that she didn't have to put on an act to impress me."
"What did she say?"
Ike shrugged, "She just pinched my ear and told me to stop being conceited."
As they got closer to the inn Han Na touched Mason's chest, "What a strapping example of a man."
He laughed and sheathed his dagger, "My thanks, lass."
"But a suggestion like that only makes me want to slit your throat and watch you suffocate in your own blood." Han Na spoke callously, still smiling. Ike waved, "Hey, we're back." She joined him and they walked into the inn.

For almost a week, Arya spent her free time making curatives. Ike and Han Na's luggage took up less and less space.
"Arya's a right ferocious fighter, Han Na. I was pleasantly surprised," Ike said, sipping tea in the lobby one night. "And we made quite the hefty purse."
"Wait, I only remember getting flung around until you came along and fried the beast!" Said Arya, leaning on her new silver shield.
Ike scratched his white hair, "I've seen quite a few good people killed by ogres. By the by, were you still interested in buying a Magick Shield?"
"Magick Shield?"
"They're used for casting spells, girl," inserted Han Na.
Arya pounded her hand, "Ohh that's what ser Mustache was using!"
Ike looked over, "Ser Mustache?
"Never mind that," replied Arya quickly, "I'm more than satisfied with this. The Lustrous Targe, wielded by the princess of Hearthstone."
"Tis quite beautiful," inserted a scruffy yet familiar voice.
To Arya's surprise, Kairo had just walked into the lobby. He sluggishly approached the counter with an otherwise distant look on his face.
"Maker's grace, what are you doing here?"
After handing some coin to the innkeep, he raised his pawn print, which glowed yellow for a second, "I'm here to rest. Isn't that why most people come to inns?"
Arya punched him in the arm, "You pawns and your coarse humor."
Ike raised a celery stick to the aloof pawn, who bowed his head in response.
"Anyway, I require your help! I plan to face the Goblin King." Stated Arya, haughtily.
Kairo raised his hand shoulder-height, "My apologies Arisen. I'm on a contract."
"Shouldn't you be excited to do my bidding?"
"I never lose focus on my contracts. However I can still be of use," Kairo took a seat at the table with them, "The Shadow Fort captain has constantly ignored the goblins settling closer to the fortress and insists they're no real problem."
Arya leaned forward, "So.. What does that mean?"
"The Goblin King is planning to take over the Shadow Fort."