Chapter 12: Exhilaration

The grass was soft and shined beautifully in the wind. Arya, Ceres and Reynard settled in the shadow of another hill, a great distance between them and the burning fort. They were surrounded by trees of many colors and humongous smooth stones. The stars' brilliant light surrounded them as they lie in the shadow of the trees.
"So what was it?" Arya asked, rolling over to look at Reynard.
He chuckled briskly, smiling. "A page from my father's journal. Pretty silly, right?"
Arya returned his smile, "Definitely not. I lost my father 4 years ago."
The merchant closed his eyes, Arya couldn't help but gaze at his long lashes. "He's the only reason I've begun this strange journey as a peddler. Trying to find him, or at least what happened to him."
"Well, I hope you find what you're looking for."
"What about you?" Reynard asked, "What's your story?"
"My family was killed by bandits years ago." She rolled back over, looking at the night sky as she talked. "My brother left when I was 10 years old, to join a bandit troupe. Of course, we later got news of his death in a government raid."
Reynard gasped, "That's terrible."
Arya chuckled. "It was because of him, that the bandits raided our town. I remember them saying, that they should have been the ones that killed him.."

Reynard looked at the page of the diary, "I'm sorry to hear that."
"Ceres, do you have a story?" Arya asked.
Ceres rolled toward them awkwardly, "Yes. A dark, misty cloud opened in my mind, and I fell through it. I had not even a rag covering my body, and a shortbow in my hands. I traveled the land for a year as a myrmidon, looking for a purpose."
Arya sat up, "A year? That means... I was asleep for an entire year?"
Ceres shrugged. "When first I saw you, milady, I knew I was your pawn. Your beauty was above that of all others, and your every word inspired me."
"When was the first time you saw me?"
"You were buried under rubble, in Hearthstone."
Suddenly, Arya embraced Ceres, holding her tightly, "Thank you." She looked over, noticing that Reynard was fast asleep. That night, they slept in each other's arms, warm under the cool wind of the night.

The next morning, Reynard was gone. In his spot was a stone with a note under it.
"Thank you, Arisen."
Arya smiled when she saw it. She folded it and kept it with her. "Ceres, wake up."
The pawn woke up suddenly, "We may need to hunt, milady."
Arya touched her grumbling stomach as they began walking. Ceres walked with an indifferent glare on her face as always. They traversed the sunny Vestad Hills, using the shade of the colorful woods until reaching a somewhat craggy path. The little rocks grumbled pleasantly under their feet. The landscape was lined with mountains and boulders.
"I would be happier, the farther we distance ourselves from that ruined castle, Arisen." Ceres stated, walking uphill.
They came to the upper level of the plains, and were met with a group if brigands.
"Turn out your pockets!"

Arya bursted into laughter, "You're honestly threatening me? Look at that stance! Barely fit to wield a sword!"
The bandit stepped back, "Wh-what?"
Another one drew a dagger, "You damned tramps! We work for Bandit Tsung!"
Arya mocked him, "We work for Bandit Tsung!" She started laughing even harder, "That's the best you can think of?" She approached the bandit and pushed him to the ground.
"H-hey, that's--"
Ceres smacked the other in the face. Arya walked to the other side of the plateau, where there were more bandits setting up a rockslide trap at the entrance of a steep valley. She walked up to the skinniest one, "And, what are you supposed to be doing?"
The cutpurse jumped, "Ah! Who are you?"
She pushed him to the side, "Is this supposed to be scary? It looks like it would crumble upon impact!"
The skinny bandit raised his fist, "It matters not! As long as it gets people out of the way so we can take their goods!"
Ceres pointed to the oversized mud boulder, "You would only crush the goods."
The bandit paused for a bit, then slowly cupped his face in his palms.
"Any of you aspiring bandits know where I can get some food?" Arya asked, her hand relaxed on the handle of her sword.
"There's a house in those woods, but I wouldn't recommend going there."
Ceres kicked him back to the ground, "Why not?"
"There's a witch in those woods!"
Arya and Ceres stared at each other and shrugged. "Whatever. If I come back and see any of you fakers," she flashed a psychopathic smile, "I'll gouge out your organs."

They continued down the path, a thick fog engulfed the wood, "I can't believe that worked!" Said Arya, laughing. Ceres nodded slowly,"Yes, Arisen. Bandits are cowards after all," she said, walking forward cautiously.
They treaded slowly, fearful of whatever may attack from the mist. After a few minutes, they came to a spitfire roasting a boar with a big pot under it.

"Mmmmh!" Arya ate like a savage, slurping the soup loudly. "Tis so good!"
Ceres nodded, sucking the pork from a bone. "Mmh, I've learned of this area."
Arya paused, looking at her strangely. "Anyways, we aught eat just a bit, else we become sluggish."
5 minutes had passed, the two continued eating to their heart's content. Arya bit a piece of bread, then stared at it before just dipping it into the succulent broth.
Suddenly, a beautifully soft handkerchief wiped her mouth.
"Slow down, milady."