Chapter 14: Endurance

Edward stabbed into the sellsword, and lifted the blade from his body. Arya looked at the lifeless corpses that collected while Edward fought.
At one moment he was a charming gentleman, the next, a ruthless killer. Splatters of his enemies' blood was on his face. His eyebrows arched deeply, and his eyes were wide open, the crystal blue glowed against the greenery.
Even Ceres killed without even the blink of an eye. The eyes on the corpses all faced a different direction but seemed to look at the same thing.
"Damned knights!"
A gruff mercenary ran cowardly at Arya, raising his sword. "Die!!!"
Shivers tingled through Arya's body. She could feel her blood pulsing, her hands clenching the handle of her sword more tightly than ever. She had never realized how easily a well-placed lunge tread through bone.
She looked the mercenary in his eyes, and dug the cold steel deeper into his body before letting him drop to the ground, his dark blood pouring from his chest plate.

"How bothersome..." Said the tall robed man, his rough hand covering his face. "It matters not. I've other trifles I must attend to."
Edward dashed at him, scraping the tip of his mighty steel greatsword against the ground, "Not so quickly, bastard!"
"Tis not good to speak badly of yourself!" Ceres screamed.
Edward paused completely, frozen in place. His head turned slowly, "I was talking to the sorcerer!"
"Oh..!! My apologies, ser!" She waved and sat down.
Flames swirled around the mysterious sorcerer, consuming him. The fires cleared, and he was gone.
Edward hurried to Gerard's side, propping him up as he hastily removed his armor. A large portion of his body was burned intensely, his skin slightly melted. Arya stumbled weakly toward him, reaching into her bag.

"Take it all off.." Arya said, falling to her knees.
Edward looked at her, "Madam, are you--?"
"If you don't hurry, it will be burned into his skin. It would become tedious, ser."
"R-right!" He quickly stripped the knight of his upper garments. Ceres joined them, pouring from her water pouch onto a clean cloth. She quickly began wiping away the scorched skin, exposing the burned pinkish flesh that was now the left half of his torso. After heavily chewing a deep green herb, Arya pulled the slimy wad from her mouth and spread it over his bubbling wounds as Ceres drained the quickly forming blisters.
"What is that?" Edward asked.
"Greenwarish. It should speed his healing process." She then wrapped his body in thick bandage. "Twas a miracle he was unconscious, ser."
"Why do you say that?"
She stood up, "If he were awake, he would be writhing in agony."

Edward returned from the thick forest, "That's the last body. Hopefully the wolves will have aught to enjoy."
Gerard's eyes opened, "I... I thank you, madam. I've naught to say, I.."
Arya smiled at him, "Don't worry yourself with such trifles, ser. Rest." The heavily wrapped knight uttered a slight smile. Arya then looked at Ceres, "I had no idea you were versed in the ways of healing. From where do you learn this?"
Ceres shrugged, "I've.. Always known it, milady."
Edward continued to the swirling staircase that led to the house built into the side of the tree. "Ser Gerard. Can you walk?"
The mustached knight struggled to no avail. Edward rushed to him, propping him on his shoulder. "Come, old man. You shouldn't be retiring just yet."
Ser Gerard laughed, "Tough talk from an upstart like you." They continued up the stairs slowly, Arya and Ceres followed closely behind, worried that Gerard might fall and not be able to catch himself. Ceres was surprisingly unbothered while carrying Gerard's enormous pack.
Edward knocked on the door upon reaching the top of the staircase. A short, thin girl with pitch black hair and a deep forest green dress came to the door. Her eyes were a bright hazel, and she wore heavy dark makeup that emphasized her pale skin.

"H-hello..?"
Ceres gasped, "So.. Adorable.."
The small girl tilted her head at the comment. Edward bowed, "I am Ser Edward Dragonsbane. I come to you in the search of knowledge regarding the Dragon."
Arya's eyes widened. The mysterious girl stepped to the side, gesturing for them to enter. "I am Selene. I'm afraid I don't know much, as I've never been outside these woods."
Edward sat Gerard against the wall of her small round house. "It would seem that this venture was not completely wasted, who knows what those men might have done to you?"
Selene crossed her legs in front of the fireplace, "I knew they would not be able to step foot into my home. Some way or another."
Edward was silent.
"Ah, yes." Selene said, "Grandmother told me that the Dragon is protected by falsehoods."
He leaned forward, "Falsehoods?"
She looked over apathetically, "Yes. Such as the Faith."
"Heresy!" Arya interrupted.
"That's exactly what the knights said all those years ago. When I spoke, I didn't expect either of you to believe me."
Edward stood up, "I believe you, wise woman of the forest. I... Won't be able to submit this knowledge to the Duke, however."

"It can become lonely in these woods," said Selene as she warmed her hands over the fire. "You can sleep here, if you like."
"Aren't you afraid of us?" Asked Gerard.
"No. Grandmother said that among my next visitors would be someone... Like her." She glared at Arya, with still an emotionless energy.
Edward reached into Gerard's bag, "My thanks, madam. I'm.. Certain you have naught of use for coin?"
Selene only stared awkwardly. Edward set up cots for Ceres and Arya to sleep on, then leaned his back against the wall next to Gerard.

Arya couldn't sleep at all. She felt completely energized, even after everyone else had been asleep for hours. She sat outside the small house, looking at the lush field and peculiar boulders that littered it. There was a poorly-made fence that surrounded the garden that somehow added to the beauty of the landscape under the moonlight.
"The night is beautiful here, madam."
Edward took a seat next to her, a gentle smile on his face. She looked up at the moon, which was exceptionally bright. It shined on the trees, giving them a glowing outline.
"I've noti--"
She froze, seeing blood splatters on his face. His eyebrows were deeply arched though his bright blue eyes were wide open.
"What?"
He asked in a dark, murderous voice. Arya jumped back, "Ah!"
"What's wrong?"
Arya scooted back quickly, "Stay back!"
Edward grabbed her shoulders, his large hands easily wrapping around them. "Arya, calm yourself!"

She paused, and tears poured from her eyes.
"I'm a.. a murderer!"
Edward paused, still holding the girl above the ground, "Why.. Would you say that?"
"Because I killed him, Ser Edward! He's dead, just like all of the rest of them!"
He let her down softly, "Arya. You've slain beasts, I know. And you've seen many a battle. Why are you just now so shocked?"
"They were... monsters, ser. Beasts, for true."
He looked toward the moon, "They came here to kill this sweet girl, Arya. Maker knows what else they may have done. Tell me, what is the difference twixt them and monsters?"
Arya paused suddenly, "I.. There is no difference."
"A living being becomes a monster based on his actions." Edward stood up, and went back into the house. "Goodnight, Arya."