Chapter 23: Precision

The open fields of Gransys smelled refreshing and brisk as always. At Arya's side was a slender white-haired man with a queer disposition, and the famed princess of her home country, Mercedes Marten.
Arya admired her beautiful equipment. It stylishly adorned her figure, but at the same time was armored for travel. Her thick white hooded cape added a perfectly regal warrior touch.
"I've always preferred dark maple on my flourcakes." Said Ike, glancing over at Mercedes with a mischievous glint, his pale skin shining in the sunlight.
Mercedes looked over, "Oh, really?"
"Really." Ike assured.
"I've always liked to eat pork sausage from the tip of my sword," she replied sharply. "After cutting it in half."
Ike swallowed his spit, "Ah. Yes, of course." He quickly looked forward and cleared his throat.
Arya was silent for a moment, unaware of the depth of the exchange.

Following Ike's lead, they veered from the roads and trekked the ruins outside the walls of Gransys. It did little to alter the beauty of the fields, however. The rubbled battlements and weathered stone walls added a surprising charm to the lush green landscape. The three approached an expansive arch that may have served as as a castle gate at one point. Arya lightly grazed its surface as they passed it. "Is this.. The Dragon's doing?" She thought to herself. After a short while, they arrived at a stone quarry.
"Alright, you lot. This way!" Said Ike, resting his hands on his waist. "Wait, your contract mentioned the Shadow Fort, right?"
Mercedes drew her sword and pointed it at him.
Ike quickly ducked to the ground, "What the-- what did I do!?"
A strange man was revealed carrying a large bag on his back as he slowly emerged from behind one of the enormous rocks of the quarry.
"Stop right there," said Mercedes, "Who are you?"
"Oh. I'm called Alon. I'm simply a merchant, you see--"
"Merchants don't sneak up on people."
"Well, I didn't want to get the exact treatment I'm getting right now!"
Ike rolled away.
Alon scratched his nose, "As you can like tell from the look of me, I'm at my wit's end. I've need to travel south through this mine, but the accursed gate won't budge!"
"Seems like a dangerous journey all the same for a merchant," said Arya.
"Despite the dangers, I came this way hoping to shorten my travels... Some shortcut, eh?"
"We'll open it, we have to go through here anyways." said Arya.
"Many thanks, travelers." Said Alon.

"I don't trust him," said Mercedes as she stepped into the Ancient Quarry. "Cowards are seldom trustworthy. Besides, what kind of merchant travels with nary a band of swords?"
"You may be right," Arya said, "But I know well the hardships merchants face, especially with hiring manpower."
Ike caught up, resting his hands behind his head, "Indeed. It's always hard to divide myself between work and the ladies.."
Mercedes bumped him with her hip. "Stupid." Suddenly, a grumbling sound quaked through the craggy mine. After a quick pause, Mercedes let out a sigh of relief. "Must've come from the echoes."
Speaking of echoes, Arya suddenly realized the darkness and the hollow quiet of the cavern. The small crackling stones underfoot shattered the silence with every step. As it got increasingly darker, Ike pulled out and lit an oil lantern.
But for some reason, that was even scarier. They suddenly became a small light surrounded by a cold darkness.

Ike had an aloof look on his face. In fact, he was somewhat like Ceres. Only he had sleepy eyes and high eyebrows, which were black despite his shaggy white hair. His neck was slender, like most of his body, and he had a big Adam's apple.
In the middle of her staring, she noticed his bright blue eyes fully open, staring at her with an insane emptiness. Arya paused, wondering if the entire time, he was watching her examine him. She could do nothing, almost entranced by his icy glare.
Suddenly, she saw blood.
"Sorry, Arya. You're a bit young for my tastes." Ike said, smiling before turning to face in front of him. She looked down, "What was that?" She thought to herself. Arya was sure that if she had a heart, it would be pounding intensely.
Crazed breathing sounded through the mines, Mercedes drew her sword,
"Careful..!"
There was a sinister crunching coming from deeper in the mines, within a collection of lanterns. Ike continued with the same goofy look on his face, Arya and Mercedes had their weapons ready. The Arisen soon realized that crunching was the sound of breaking bones.

She looked around, Mercedes disappeared into the darkness. There was something here, savage and indiscriminately evil, feasting on Maker-knows-what.
"Without the heart, beating, screaming, you don't know that you're afraid. Isn't that strange, Arya?" Ike asked, still walking calmly, "All you feel is adrenaline. Use it."
Arya ran forward into the darkness, it all made sense. There was never fear holding her back. What did she have to live for anymore anyways? The simple fact was, she's in danger and has to kill whatever it is that gets in her way.
There it was, a gargantuan beast with glowing red eyes, tearing into the corpses of men, freshly killed. It's ghastly blood-smeared face staring emptily into space as it feasted. She jumped, sword extended and thrusted her blade into its muscled back.
The beast dropped the body, slowing its gory gnashing. It looked over, and smiled sinisterly.
Arya looked back at her sword, which only barely pierced its flesh, jumping away as the monster swatted at her. As she regained her stance, the beast stood up and cracked its neck.