Chapter 3: Discovery

Arya looked around, her legs trembled frantically. One of the goblins licked his lips. She swallowed her spit and drew the sword from its scabbard. "Bring it on, you beasts! I'll have you know I'm a swordmaster, a fighter, for true!" A goblin stepped forward, cackling. Arya ran forward, but tripped due to her shaking legs. The goblins cackled even harder. "Ahahaha! Easy mea--" The goblin looked down at the girl piercing his chest with her blade. In just the blink of an eye, she burst forward with her attack. He kicked her to the ground, the other goblins began stomping her. With the pelting of feet against her body, and the ache of her head being pushed into the ground, Arya began to cry. There was no force to make her continue fighting, no motivation, for her every dream had been taken from her.

-CRACK!-
"Uaghh!" The goblins began flying into the distance, one at a time. Arya looked up, noticing a tall, scantily-clad oriental woman with a warhammer. "Get up, girl, and fight!" The woman kicked the broadsword toward Arya. She picked it up weakly. A goblin jumped at her, swinging its club. Arya swung her blade upward, spinning her body during the movement. There was no scream, as she had cut the goblin's face in two. Arya began running again, but was stopped by a goblin tackling her. She fell to the ground, the goblin walked toward her, gripping his bleeding stomach. "You..! I kill you!" The goblin raised its jagged blade.
"Die!!!" The tall woman grabbed the creature from behind, locking her arms behind its head. "I've got him! Strike, now!" Arya got up, slashing the beast's chest wildly.

"Now that was a right hairy one, you've got a real fighting spirit, girl!" The woman pat Arya's back, almost knocking her over.
"Who are you?" Arya asked, stumbling a bit.
"My name is Rei. And yourself?" Her loud voice somehow comforting.
"My name is Ary--"
"That's a nice name, girl. Where are you headed with that sword?"
Arya paused a bit before speaking. "Well, I'm headed to--"
"Ah, grand! I'll travel with you, then!" Rei interrupted her again, laughing loudly.

Arriving at Morwen's place, Rei waited outside. Arya walked in slowly, "Morwen?" There was awkward silence for a bit.
"I'm in the kitchen, dear." She walked into the kitchen where Morwen was sewing something. Arya approached her quietly, handing the sword to her. Morwen took the blade and handed it back, "Happy birthday, Arya." She took the sword, "How did you--?" Morwen chuckled, "I've been around a long time. At this age, you begin to know these things." Arya said nothing, shocked. Morwen handed her the pale blue scarf she had been sewing, "Just like I know you thought I was taking your money, but in reality, I was helping you buy something you needed. Now, get dressed. You have a long journey ahead of you."