Chapter 25: Temerity

Never in Arya's wildest imagination, would a man burst into flames and live to tell the story. During their trek through the stony mines, images of Ike, completely ablaze, staring back at her and smiling before leaping headfirst into a mighty beast played back in her head. She wondered if seasoned adventurers like Ace and Rei had come across people with such ability in their travels. One thing was certain though, Salvation had no doubt played a part in all the monsters that littered Gransys of late. The darkness of the cave slowly disappeared, revealing a lobby of some sort complete with what looked like a kind of workshop. Ike raised his hand, gesturing for the trio to stop before walking in alone.
After a few moments, he returned. "'Tis safe. Doesn't seem like it'll be that way for long though. Let's get some rest."

Arya's sight was foggy. She could see a woman running through the fields. She was with someone, happily tumbling in the grass. She walked toward them, but could never reach them. The crisp grass crinkled under her feet as she ran toward the two, and they kept getting farther away.
Finally, she saw them sitting on the floor of a wooden house in the middle of a lush savanna. The man sat with a pestle and mortar, Arya could smell the Southron Oregano. As she stared, his face began to form hazily.
It was Julio.
The stubbled brown-skinned man stared intently at his work, biting his bottom lip with his left canine teeth as usual. Then the woman came out, her skin equal in a rich brunneous tone. She hugged him from behind and smiled, then suddenly looked at Arya. Her eyes were grayish blue, and her hair was long and black. It was like looking in a mirror.
"Ah, greetings, Lady Arisen," she said blankly.
"Ceres?"

Arya woke up in a cold sweat, and quickly looked around as if to ascertain the fictionality of her dream. Ike was curled into a ball, and Mercedes was asleep, laying against the wall. Looked like she put up a good fight before being overwhelmed by drowsiness, however. Ike jumped awake, "We aught leave this place."
Mercedes opened one eye, looking skeptically at Ike.
He sat up, gathering himself, "Hurry. And we've got to be quiet about it." As they continued through the mines, Arya felt awkwardly alert. She could even smell the creatures ahead of them, spiders, it would seem. She kept her wits about her as they disappeared into the darkness.

"I wonder what could've killed that Ogre?"
A gruff voice echoed through the mines, accompanied by the murmer of other men.
"Doesn't matter to me, one less beast to contend with. We aught take some time to look around, aye?"
After killing the spiders, Ike, Arya and Mercedes climbed some crag, coming to what looked like some type of shaft. There were lanterns and boxes of supplies, almost as it someone lived there.
"Bandits," said Mercedes. "Did that merchant send them?"
"I've not a clue, milady," inserted Ike. "It matters not. I've located the exit." His voice echoed from an upper level.

The fresh breeze was a relief for Arya, who was well and tired of the dank air in the quarry. Mercedes stretched her back and Ike picked his nose with his pinky before flicking his findings into who-knows-where.
The trio continued around a shining lake, rather moderate in size and surrounded by massive boulders. Arya stopped to look at her reflection, quickly jumping back.
"Maker's Grace! There's naught a fish in the sea that could make one blunder like that." said Mercedes, slightly chuckling.
"There's some greasy-haired witch in this lake!" Exclaimed Arya, pointing her sword at the water.
Mercedes took a peek, then looked back mischievously, "What a failed inspection of your own... Reflection!" After an awkward silence, she and Arya burst into laughter, "That was a good one, Mercedes!"
Ike dragged his palm down his face.
"Yes, yes I know. I have quite the sense of humor from time to time," said Mercedes, briskly.
Ike walked ahead.
Arya plopped down onto the grass. "I'd like if I could be a Fighter and be pretty at the same time like yourself, Mercedes."
The princess took a seat next to her, "No Fighter is pretty, Arya. 'Tis the inside what makes your beauty. Besides, everyone's equally ugly while locked in combat."

After catching up with Ike, they saw him crouched behind a rubbled wall.
"I'm telling you, it looked like the eye of a Meloirean girl! Just bigger. And prettier!"
"Outta my face, grunt. There's no way a rock like that is crawling around here!"
"I'm telling you, the boss has it 'round his dirty neck!"
A hobgoblin and a smaller red goblin argued back and forth with each other. The surrounding goblins cheered,"Fight! Fight! Kill the small one!" Arya drew her sword, "My brooch..!"
Suddenly, a loud battle cry coursed the fields. "Fear me, beasts! And unhand the fair lady!"
The goblins looked around, confused. "Fair lady?"
A staturely woman jumped into the center of the lot, swinging a massive hammer. Arya quickly climbed over the wall, seeing a collection of broken Goblin bodies and Rei dusting her hands off.
"Strange. I remember hearing that a kidnapped woman was to be held captive here. I must be mistaken.."
Arya hugged the muscular woman
"Ah, 'tis a pleasure seeing you again!"

Rei laughed heartily, "And 'tis good to see you, girl." She looked briefly at Arya's small party. I see you've made new friends! Not the lot I would choose to hunt a Dragon, but we've all got to start somewhere."
Mercedes raised her eyebrows.
"I took a contract to escort the Princess," inserted Arya, assuringly.