Chapter 37 : Inflection

The beasts were much larger than normal wolves, dressed in snowy white coats. Their numbers were great, the growling predators casting a sinister shadow over the stoney pathway before them. In the background of the pack of Direwolves stood a castle, guarded stalwartly by the fearsome hounds.
"That damned dragon scraped all the monsters from the mountains," Complained Larkey, drawing his sword. Innick and Deen stood with their longbows drawn, stepping behind the cleric Nathy and ser Arya, figuratively assuming a phalanx formation to protect the ranged units. The other fighters among them slowly spread out, readying for battle.
The wolves shifted around and made way for an incredibly large canine, staring past all the soldiers and directly at Arya, meeting her blue eyes with his. The hound was noticeably more muscular than the other wolves, and sported an ominous X-shaped scar on its forehead, slightly tilting its head downward as if to make sure the cut was noticed. Sick of the windy silence, Arya slammed her sword against her lustrous targe and pointed the blade at the alpha.
"Come!"
She roared at the wolf, daring it to trade in its white coat for a red one. After a few more moments of silence, the direwolf uttered a smooth scoffing sound, causing the other pack members to immediately attack. As the murderous white predators approached, Arya took refuge under her shield, easily tossing aside any reckless pounces and cutting the hounds down at will.

Without even needing to stop and discuss strategy, Innick took to firing ahead of Arya as she advanced on the Alpha, and Thorne slaid all that made it past the furious assault. Deen set up for a flank attack, using twin daggers to set his pace as he circled for the leader, accompanied by a handful of fighters.
Arya bursted forth, her eyes locked onto the crystal optics of the Alpha Direwolf, what seemed to just stare condescendingly at her efforts, daring her to challenge it.
"Just a little further..!"
Tossing the wolves aside, she planted her feet into the dirt, preparing to launch a decisive blow against the creature - only to move her shield aside and it being gone, like it was never there to begin with.
"What in blazes?" Complained Deen, looking equally confused at the canine's sudden disappearance. Slowly, the wolves flushed out and away from them, not having caused any serious injury, and dispersing to the North from which they came.
"That was.. Queer," commented Larkey, watching in confusion as the hounds left.
Nathy braced her wooden staff on her back, keeping a small collection of fireballs swirling around her person. "Wolves are cowardly creatures. Even in packs, they only think about their own safety."
Innick holstered his massive bow, shrugging and adjusting his glasses. "Maybe they realized we aren't all that bad?"
"Twas a threat," said Thorne, a tinge of annoyance in her accented tone. "We're on their territory, after all." The other soldiers nodded in agreement before slowly following Larkey, who without speaking started toward the castle nearby.

Being greeted by a heavily-toned soldier named Ser Daerio, the Elites set up camp in the Northern Fort, fully ready to rest after a day's march. Arya smartly placed her cot near the stewing kettle - for both warmth and the right of way to the food. She laid in silence as another small group of soldiers came through the Northern Fort, hustling and bustling about, supposedly being sent to hunt a Griffin. Giant, magick-using bird, it seems that the draw was short for everyone save the Duke himself.
As the pot boiled later that night, the soldiers from Gran Soren sang and danced, cheering into the night over the fire. Arya however, chose to stay silent and only watch the soldiers enjoy themselves. In an hour's time, the beef broth came to a boil and the pot was being slowly diminished with every filled wooden bowl.
"So you're hunting a Chimera?" Asked Daerio, his rumbling voice thunderous in Arya's ears.
"That we are," commented Larkey, taking short breaths to relieve his mouth of the steaming potatoes -- or carrots, the temperature made it hard to discern the flavors in his mouth.
"We're expecting a supply unit on the morrow, we will assist you as soon as possible," commented Daerio, standing up and walking into the castle, scruffing the back of his head. As he left, a wave of silence blew over the Gran Soren soldiers. About 15 of them, Arya counted, and all were silent as they ate.
It was like Daerio's exit reminded everyone of the cold harsh truth that some of them would die tomorrow. Maybe it was something about not having a heart that made others' heartbeats louder, but Arya seemed to sense every thump.

"Damn this silence, and damn your fear." Thorne spoke up, taking a stand and not forgetting to keep her dinner in-hand. "Fear's an 'eavy burden," she stopped to take another drink from the rim of her bowl, chewing the savory chunks with an open mouth, exhaling the steam in puffs.
"So, if you're craven in the face of death, stay 'ere. I will judge you not, if you choose to preserve your own life."
Even Larkey, who's usually first to kick Thorne off her high horse, stayed quiet as she made her point. Arya watched in awe of her confidence.
"Strapping on a sword and calling yourself a soldier isn't how you become great." In Thorne's eyes glowed a fire of determination and fury. "Greatness is preserved for those who face challenges with the will to live! I've 'eard tales of men slaying Chimeras single-'andedly, and nary does it make me gawk at their bravery, but instead makes me want to surpass it!" Murmuring broke out among the small crowd, some wondering if Thorne was serious or just had too much stew, as if it were intoxicating to begin with. The first to stand was Oxface, cracking his neck and glaring directly at Thorne. Behind him was Innick, and a couple of other foot soldiers.
"Tis' nothing but a practice test! What with the Dragon about, we're going to 'ave to get used to seeing these bastards so we might as well learn how to kill them!"
One after another, soldiers stood up, pumping their fists. Only just now understanding why, Arya stood as well. Before she knew it, every soldier was standing and cheering.
"So tuck your muffs, get some rest and prepare to take this creature's 'ead." After a bit of silence, the lot of men and women with shining broth-covered lips staring at her became somewhat awkward.
"So.. Yes. That's all."
And with that, a final cheer.