Chapter 7: Resolve

The night passed quickly. The wind seemed to usher in the foggy morning time. Arya, Ceres and Ace traveled surprisingly smoothly to the bordertown. Its tan walls didn't rise far from the ground, and the faded flags bearing the emblems of Voldoa, Hearthstone, and Gransys only emphasized the dullness that came with the fog. The town was nearly empty, the people rushed into their houses and establishments upon seeing them enter through the gate. Every step into the town seemed to bring about even greater silence.
Ace stopped by a pub, "You people hungry? I'll pay for your food," he said, reaching into his pocket. Arya said nothing, she only touched her stomach as it slightly growled. "Actually, I've consumed a scarce amount of calories and fear I may die if not presented with some sort of sustenance," Ceres said, awkwardly.
"I'm sorry, we're closed." The barkeep said.
"Seriously?" Ace asked, incredulously. They walked outside, he whispered under his breath, "Act casual." Ceres continued walking like a zombie and Arya pretended to look for gold on the ground.
She walked closer to Ace, "What's going on?"
He smiled and waved at a woman that appeared to be fleeing the scene, "It's a setup," he said, whispering through his teeth.

They tried to remain close to the shops in town as they neared the exit. Ace stopped suddenly and pushed Arya to the side. A giant spear came crashing through the wall. For whatever reason, the townspeople remained silent still. Ace threw is cape over Ceres and Arya. As the dust cleared, a white-haired tan woman with red eyes and light plated armor was riding a centaur. The beast stood proudly, moving the long, shining red hair from his beautifully chiseled face. His torso was that of an extremely muscular man, and it rose from the body of a mighty dark brown steed.
"Hey there," The woman said casually.
Ace drew his blades, "Elvira."
Arya noticed the scar on her chest, "You're..?"
"That's right, I am. It matters not, prepare to die."
The man-beast charged at Arya, she blocked but the force pushed her back. "Aren't we supposed to team up so we can defeat the dragon!?" Arya asked, stumbling to her feet.
Elvira laughed evilly, "Damn this worthless scar, like as the dragon!" The woman jumped from the centaur, gracefully dodging three arrows. "Phineas! Take care of that Arisen and her husk-creature, I've got a personal score with the oriental."

Ace charged at her, swinging his daggers. He swung with speed and technique, she blocked every blow with her twin kris knives. The clings and clangs of the duel ringing through the air like kisses. Ace jumped back, then stepped forward with a kick. Elvira dodged it, jumping off his leg and spinning with her blades extended, knocking him to the ground as his blades collided with her strikes. As he stumbled to his feet, she dashed at him with a sliding kick, tripping him. Ace rolled to the side as she landed with downward thrusts into the ground. As Elvira swung her blades, Ace crouched, spinning toward her with the speed of a snake. His daggers, made from the tips of bardiche lances, had grazed her side. Elvira stepped back, holding her small wound, "Poison? You know this won't last long against me." She pointed to her scar as she spoke, "This may be interesting, after all."

The centaur dashed at Arya, forcing her back with his extreme reach.
"You will die here, Arisen!" Phineas exclaimed, his voice loud and thunderous. Arya stood firm, her shield raised. Ceres stood at her side, her bow drawn. Hoping to close the distance, Arya sprinted toward her opponent. The beast swung his spear casually to the side, toppling the girl as his massive weapon clashed with her shield. Ceres ran backward, shooting a barrage of arrows at Phineas, who evaded them with ease. Arya used the chance to flank his side. As she raised her blade, the centaur turned his entire body around, knocking her to the ground again. Phineas galloped toward her, picking her up by the neck with just one hand. "Foolish girl. You have not even close to enough skill to best me."
-shuck!-
An arrow pierced Phineas's shoulder, forcing him to drop Arya. "Gahhh! You soulless cretin!" He ran toward Ceres, extending his spear. She dodged the stroke of his weapon by rolling to the side.

The battle between Ace and Elvira had ascended to the rooftops of the town. Ace deflected one of her blows and jumped on her shoulders. As he thruster his blades at her neck, she grabbed his wrist and flipped him over, breaking the roof. The two fell into a house, still battling, until Elvira kicked him into a wall. Ace dodged into the shadows. Elvira looked around cautiously.
-whoosh-
She turned quickly, parrying the swing of a blade.
"Invisibility! You've really gotten better, haven't you?"

Phineas moved swiftly, dodging Ceres's arrows while parrying Arya's advances. Time after time, they were knocked over and pushed back.
"He's trying to wear us down, ser Arisen." said Ceres, preparing an arrow. Arya tried to stand, but her knees were weak. The centaur readied himself for another charge. "That's it!" Arya thought to herself. "Ceres, stand aside," she said. Phineas lunged at Arya, she tilted her shield and on the moment of impact she yanked it backward, turning her whole body over in the process. Phineas went flying over his own weight crashing to the ground.
"Uagh! How did you--?" Arya sprinted toward the downed centaur and slashed his left hand. "Gwaa!" He shuffled to his feet, screaming in a stinging agony. He tried to pick up his spear but dropped it immediately due to the pain in his hand. Arya and Ceres regrouped, prepared to defeat the massive beast.

-cling!- clang!- The clashing of steel rang through the building. Ace dashed at Elvira with intense speed but was deflected on every exchange. As he charged at her again, she threw stringed hooks at him, latching onto him and yanking him to the ground. "Oof!" The impact knocked his invisibility away. As he struggled to stand up, Elvira kicked him in the face. He went flying to a wall, and she swung yet another buckling kick to his leg. As he stumbled back she dashed forward, slashing his chest. Ace grabbed his shirt, "Ahh.. Is that all you've--" She kicked him once more, sending him flying out a window.
-crack!-
His body smacked the pavement. She jumped down, tutting, "Ace, Ace, Ace... Any last words?"
He stood up, "Oh, I'm... I'm just getting started.!" He ran at her, swinging just one dagger as he held his chest.