Chapter 27: Clout

It was a strange feeling in the middle of the night, but something about the cool sensation of bedsheets and the soft embrace of the moonlight shining through the window that made her lie awake and worry about pointless things. "So, Kairo. I heard that Ace says aught about me." Prodded Arya, staring at the ceiling of her suite.
"He says that you're a fine young lady. And quite the fighter, besides." Replied Kairo, leaning against her bed.
She couldn't help but smile as she rolled over toward him, "Kairo, you're an idiot."
"My apologies, Arisen."
Arya flopped flat on her back, "If I stripped naked right now, it would have naught an effect on you.."
"I.. I do apologize, Arisen." Kairo sat on her bed, "I sense that you're curious about your attractiveness. You shouldn't be."
Arya froze. She knew she shouldn't care, yet she was unnaturally anxious about what he meant. "There's no way I'm actually beautiful, right?" She thought to herself.
Kairo rubbed his hand up Arya's body. Only a thin silk tunic separated their skin. He looked directly into her eyes. As she looked away, he gently touched her cheek and turned her to face him, "Beauty is on the inside, Arisen."
"You really are an idiot, Kairo!" Arya said, laughing.
"My apologies, Arisen." He laid down casually next to her, his clothes and armor still on.
"What in Maker's name are you doing?"
"'Tis.. My room, Arisen.."
Arya paused, then scooted over, "I almost forgot. I just needed to get away from Han Na and her strange habit of reading bedtime stories."

The next day, both Arisen were in the lobby of the inn. Ike leaned against the wall eating an apple, "Hey Arya. Who was that buff lady with the hammer?"
"She's called Rei," said Arya. "I know not much else about her. She may have been checking on me." She smiled gleefully.
Kairo only waved as he left the inn, not bothering to turn around. Arya noticed Han Na sitting at a table reading quietly.
"Mason seemed to have made you quite cross the other day," said Arya, taking a seat across from her.
Han Na closed the book, "Of course. He mentioned that I become an assassin of sorts."
"Why did that make you so mad?"
"Because it requires me to leave Ike's side."
The innkeep stepped outside, joining the rest of the morning crowd around the criers. They seemed more vigorous today than usual.

"Ere ye, 'ere ye, attend to all! Duke Edmund as 'imself has appointed his ducal bastard, ser Edward, the directive of eliminating the goblin threat to the West. Who among ye will share in our glory? We petition the aid of all who will take up arms!" The crowd murmured but no-one spoke up.
"I'll go." Said Arya.
The lead crier looked at Arya suddenly, then paused callously before yelling back out to the crowd, "Does anyone other than this nobody wish to ride with the Black Cloaks?" After a few moments he scoffed, "I ask again--oof!"
Edward shoved him, before being joined by a group of men in long black capes. "Watch your tongue, ser." He folded his arms, "I had thought you dead, Arya."
She chuckled in response, "Same. I suppose my time simply hasn't come."
"We depart at sundown. Find us at the barracks." Edward said, turning around. The group of cloaked men joined him as they walked toward the Noble Quarter.

The crowd dispersed, people slowly went back to their daily routines. Arya found the process somewhat eerie, what with there being a Dragon about and bloodthirsty beasts just outside the gates. She noticed things she hadn't before; whisperings, passed notes, snickers and glances from the sides of people's eyes. It was almost as if the citizens weren't people, but something else entirely. She walked back to the inn, and although everyone was tending to their business, she felt like they were all watching her every step.
"Ike, are you coming with us?"
"No," he said suddenly. "Something about traveling with those knight types, I don't like."
"Pray, be safe on your travels, Arya. We have faith in you," said Han Na, tying her hair into a bun.
"Thanks for everything," Arya replied, grabbing her shield. "I'll survive long enough to meet you both again."
Ike scratched his head, "I'll hold you to that. Now, we must be off."
The two departed the inn, carrying a lot less than they were before. It was then that she noticed they were only in Gran Soren to sell their excess wares. It seemed like becoming an Arisen did naught to change him from the man that caught her curled into a ball on the streets of Hearthstone.
"You look like you could use a direwolf pelt, young lady," he said, no different than he is now. "It could be all yours for 2 gold coins."
She remembered turning her back to him and insisting he was only making a fool out of her, especially selling an entire pelt for 2 gold. The thing had to be worth at least 800. Surely enough she bought it later that day with stolen gold. He was knitting linen to the inside of it when she found him, like he knew she would find a way. To this day she wondered why he didn't just let her have it, but now she knew. He taught her to work for what she wanted, or aught like that.

"Aye, there she is," said ser Edward as Arya approached them, bathed in the crimson sunset. "She's quite the arm."
"A woman?" Inserted the man next to him, arrogantly stroking his stubbled jawline, "You would've done better hiring pawns."
Edward closed his eyes and chuckled, "You think so? Well you're sadly mistaken."
Arya waved, smiling. "Your hair matches the sunset, ser Edward."
He bowed, "Greetings. The other men are in the castle making their final preparations. You're familiar with me, the sexist to my right is Ser Garcia."
Garcia folded his arms, "Whatever. I just have naught the confidence in the strength of puny woman arms."
Arya stared at him blankly, "Are your puny arms somehow superior to my puny arms on account of what's between our legs?"
Edward laughed, "And a right sharp tongue."
Garcia walked ahead, "Whatever. Just don't slow us down."
Seven other black-clad men joined them.
Edward handed Arya a matching cape, "We're honored to have you among the Black Cloaks, Arya."