Gone

I trained harder everyday. I didn't set any more bushes on fire, so that was good. I was really starting to get the hang of controlling my power of Will. When that dark figure came and challenged me again, I'd be ready.

Along with my improvements, Ryan was passing math. Our teacher allowed him to dismiss me only when the year ended, which was good because then I could still be involved in his life. Alec and I had started dating steadily. He really was a nice guy, and we learned more about each other each day. But something wasn't right. Every time I walked past school, Ryan and the school were both enveloped in light. A very bright light. I was confused, because I thought I had been doing a pretty good job. Apparently, I was missing something. The worry nagged at me everyday and I couldn't take my mind off of it. Alec started to notice too one night when we were in his basement hanging out. He lowered his lips to my hair and murmured gently, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, just a lot of stuff going on right now. Pressure of high school, you know?"

"You'll be fine. You always get through these things"

"Yea, I know," he was always encouraging and open with me. I wanted to give him honesty, but I couldn't tell him my secret. It was too dangerous. The last thing I wanted was for him to be in the middle of things, but I guess he already was. Him being my assignment's brother and all. He lifted my lips to his, making me momentarily forget my whirlwind of thoughts, and kissed me ever so gently.

"Better?" he asked.

"Much."

When I got to school the next day, I heard whispers. Of Ryan not being there, or showing up to practice the other day. My anxiety piqued and I began to panic. Where did he go? This was all my fault. I had been too distracted by Alec and now Ryan was missing.

As soon as the bell rang, I dashed out to my car and started mentally going through a list of places Ryan might go. I stopped by the hot spot in town where all the cool kids went, but he wasn't there. I also checked out the gym, but no sign. Wherever Ryan was, he didn't want to be found.