To the sky

"Surprised to see me?" I stumbled back a little, but I was still determined.

"But why?"

"Stupid girl, I was never that geek who roamed the halls for sympathy. I was myself all along. I watched you from the very beginning. A clever trick with the burn I might add. That was the moment I knew. That you were my counter".

"Your...counter"

"Well, you see. You are to protect Ryan and me...well....not so much" He dragged Ryan from behind the building, dazed and disheveled.  He was holding the gasoline in his hands, looking down and wasn't able to meet my eyes.

"Ryan, get out of here!" I yelled. He snapped out of his trace through my Will and looked me square in the eyes, leaving without a word.

"That's also a clever trick"

"Leave him alone. This is between you and me"

"You're right. But of course, only one will be left standing" he had a predatory look in his eyes with a glint of malice, and for the first time in my life, I considered the very real possibility of my death.

"Hey Mel...." I spun around to see Alec at the top of the concrete steps and we met eyes. Stuart, or whoever he really was, looked between the both of us and required a mischievous grin. Before I knew what was happening, he swooped him up and unfurled his black, crimson-tipped wings and took to the sky.