Spark

What did he mean by save them all? And why did he smell like wood and gasoline. And then it hit me. He had been in the hardwood store. He had been the one to work his powers on the man so that he didn't remember everything. He was behind this whole thing. And the only thing he needed Ryan for, was a scapegoat.

And the constant orange light around the school. A haze. An inferno. The smell of gasoline all made sense now. And what better night to strike than tonight? The homecoming dance. I had forgotten all about it, being caught up in my own guilt that I should have seen it sooner. The only thing to do was to get ready.

I had put spandex on under my lilac dress. It would be hard to fly in it, but I had to blend in. People would be suspicious if I showed up in battle-like gear. I grabbed my phone and left my mom a letter on the table. So I had to stop the dark figure and save everyone. It shouldn't be too difficult, right?

When I arrived at school and entered the gym, I noticed they had decorated it with white fairy lights and it was an incandescent effect.

"Melanie?" I stopped abruptly and turned around.

"Alec?" he looked sheepish as if afraid to approach me. But he also looked hurt. And I had been the cause of that hurt.

"Long time, no see huh?"

"Listen, Alec..."

"No no I get it. You don't want to talk. I'll leave you be" He started to walk away but then I called back to him.

"No wait!" he seemed surprised but he came back. "I need you to do something for me"

"Like what?"

"I need you to get everyone to evacuate the school. Now. I can't explain, I just need you to trust me"

"I don't know, Mel"

"Please. It's important" I cupped my hand around his face. I knew I was playing a wrong card, but I continued anyway. He looked at me and nodded. Then he went to the speaker and the DJ, whispering something in his ear.

I went outside to the back and found who I had expected to see. And never expected at all.

"Oh, hello Melanie" And then Stuart ignited the school.