Origins

"You're an angel. And so was your father. That's why you have those scars. They're wing scars where your wings will grow tonight. You have to learn to conceal them...."

"Wait! Back up. An angel? ME? And dad? I don't understand."

"Your father came from a bloodline of angels and you inherited it."

"What about you?"

"I am a mortal. I was his assignment. But then....things got complicated. We fell in love and..."

"And...?" I prodded.

"Nothing. Never mind. He died a long time ago" I could tell she was still holding something back from me. But I had enough information to take in already.

"Does that mean I will have an assignment? What is an assignment?"

"You were sent to Earth assigned to someone for their whole life. You're there to make sure they stay on the path of good. You must protect them from danger. Otherwise your whole purpose will be ruined and you must face judgment. Everyone faces judgment in the end." She looked away and I saw hidden pain in her eyes. She shook her head and cleared her thoughts.

"Anyway, you better get ready for school." School? How could she think of school after she just told me all this stuff?

"Seriously mom, you expect me to go through the day like a normal teenager? Like you didn't just tell me that I'm an angel?"

"Yes. It's called The Coping Phase. You'll get used to it." I shook my head, thinking she was insane when I remembered something.

"How will I know who my assignment is?"

"You'll know"