The Ringer

I knocked on the door, dreading what I had to do next. Alec opened the door, smiling and happy as all get out to see me on the front step. I wish I could have returned the enthusiasm, but I wouldn't allow myself. This was already going to be hard enough. 

"Hey! So I already know where to take you for this weekend-"

"Alec, we have to-"

"And then I had a surprise eating place after that-"

"Alec!" He stopped mid sentence with a crestfallen look on his face. "We have to talk"

We sat on the front porch for about a half hour, the whole time I was trying to suppress tears. It was easier if he thought I never cared for him. Then he couldn't question why I was doing this in the first place. 

"So. That's it then? We're done?"

"Please, I don't want-"

"No. It's fine. I understand" But I knew it was anything other than fine. I had broken his heart, and mine, all in one day. After I said all I needed to, we parted ways and I got back in the car.

When I got home, Mom wasn't too thrilled to find out that Ryan was missing. She raked a hand through her hair and buried her face in her hands. I knew she was disappointed in me, and so was I. I ran up to my room and gently closed the door. No point in slamming it. Then I threw myself onto the bed and had myself a good cry until I fell asleep.