Chapter 2 - Starbucks

[ WHO COULD IT BE WHO COULD IT BE]

--------

[Phil's p.o.v]

Dan picked up his drink as I focused the small red camera on him. He grinned at me, and we walked back to the table we had occupied. People gave us a few weird looks, as we were filming our coffee, which is pretty obviously not a normal thing to do here in London.

We sat at the table, dumping our bags down next to the chair. I turned the camera off, and started stirring my coffee.

"So, who was that girl? The redhead." Dan asked, giving me a knowing smile.

I smiled and shook my head down at the table.

"Just that girl who played the gig I went to last night, where I was supposed to meet Ellie."

Ellie was my girlfriend, whom I hadn't seen in ages. We were supposed to see Riley play last night together, seeing as it was the least likely place for someone to recognize me. However, just before the gig started she texted me saying she couldn't make it, that she had some appointment.

"Oh, right," Dan coughed. "Personally, I call bullshit on whatever Ellie told you last night. Also, that Riley girl's pretty fit."

I smiled again, focusing on stirring my coffee. I picked up the camera and turned it around so the lens was facing me.

"So, we're going to... Go to the shopping center, I suppose, Dan?" I spoke to the camera.

Dan flashed a thumbs up and a mouth-full-of-coffee smile to the camera. I laughed, and waved to the camera before turning it off and dropping it in my pocket.

In case you didn't know, Dan and I are youtubers, Dan having recently hit 1,000,000 subscribers and myself on the better side of 700,000. We also recently got a radio show, with BBC Radio 1. Which is what I meant about people recognizing me. I wanted it to be a special night for Ellie and I. And it would have been if she showed up.

I raised my mug to my lips, swallowing some coffee and turning my head to the counter of the Starbucks. Riley wasn't in sight. I think I scared her, the way we had seen eachother over the past hours. Something about her intrigued me, something about the way she was distant from everyone.

***

I stood in the changing room, looking in the mirror at a pair of jeans I was trying on. They looked fine, I suppose, but jeans always look the same. I stepped up closer to the mirror and studied my face. I shook my black hair out of my eyes a bit.

I wasn't incredibly confident in myself. I hadn't had a girlfriend for 3 whole years before Ellie. I thought things were going well with her, but now every time I set up a date she always has an excuse. I didn't have the confidence to confront her about it, either.

I squeezed my eyes shut and banged my head on the mirror a few times. I heard a knock on the door.

"You almost done, Phil?" Dan's voice called.

"Yeah, like one more minute.."

My phone buzzed on the floor, the screen lighting up. I leant down to pick it up, seeing I had a new message. I swiped the unlock bar, tapped in my passcode and opened the messages app.

From : Ellie

Hey Phil :) sorry i couldnt make it last night, maybe next time?

To : Ellie

Yeah, its ok! The show was really good though, shame you missed it..

I tossed my phone on the ground, slipping back into my own jeans. I contemplated the pair I held before me, finally resting on the decision that I didn't need another pair. I stepped out of the change room, dropping my phone into my pocket.

Dan was holding the camera, filming me coming out.

"And, after one billion hours, he finally emerges from his hiding place." Dan stated in a David Attenborough type voice.

***

We filmed a bit more, just us being stupid around the shopping center. As we strolled through the clothes racks I felt my phone buzz against my thigh again. I paused in order to open the message.

From : Ellie

Um, also, may not be a good idea for you to come over, im quite sick

To : Ellie

Oh, thats alright. Are you sure you dont need anything?

I got a quick reply.

From : Ellie

No, but really dont come over i could get you sick

I blinked a few times at the phone. Isn't it generally the boyfriend/girlfriend's job to be there when the other is sick, in order to take care of them? I decided to take it up with Dan when he wasn't filming.

***

The whole day I couldn't get both Ellie and Riley out of my mind. Riley, why was I thinking about her so much? She obviously was scared of me, and I didn't even know what I wanted with her. I mean, I found her really endearing and cute, but I have a girlfriend. Oh well, I guess it's in a mans nature.

Ellie, on the other hand. Was I doing something wrong? It felt like she was avoiding me. I thought about it a while longer before standing up and grabbing my keys from the counter. I called out to Dan that I was going to see Ellie, which he replied to with a shake of his head.

She only lived a few blocks away, so it didn't take me long to walk to her place. I walked up to the door, and upon knocking I noticed that it was open anyway. I stepped into the apartment, noticing her Facebook was still open on her laptop, and it all seemed as though she had gotten up very quickly to do something.

I heard faint noises coming from the bedroom. Curious, I stepped over to the door. I twisted the doorknob, opened it a crack.

"Ellie? I-" I started.

All I could see was a blonde mop of hair, on top of what could only be Ellie. And they were in the bed.