Chapter 9 - The Lingering Question

[A/N : sozzles if its short, school happens]

[Dan's p.o.v]

Riley had given us directions to 'some dodgy old pub'. That's what she referred to it as. She had left about 30 minutes before us, to get there early and scope the place out, practise a little. She said she did this for every gig.

Phil and I got off the train, walking in time with eachother through the gates and down a side street. We entered the pub. I looked around and pointed out a table near the back to Phil. We walked to it and sat down.

Right on cue, Riley walked quietly onto stage, placing herself on the wooden stool in the center of the stage and resting her guitar on her knee. She repositioned the microphone closer to her face and coughed slightly, in an effort to get everyone's attention.

"Hi... I'm Riley Sullings, and I'm going to play a few songs for you tonight. Enjoy." She said, her eyes catching mine quickly, making me smile.

"First, I'm going to play Enchanted by Taylor Swift. This song, uh, has a bit of meaning to me right now."

[Phil's p.o.v]

I settled back into my seat as Riley began to strum on her guitar, a quiet repeating note. She shook her head to get the hair out of her eyes, and leant into the microphone.

"There I was again tonight

Forcing laughter, faking smiles

Same old tired lonely place

Walls of insincerity,

Shifting eyes and vacancy

Vanished when I saw your face

All I can say is it was enchanting to meet you

Your eyes whispered, "Have we met?"

Across the room your silhouette

Starts to make its way to me

The playful conversation starts

Counter all your quick remarks

Like passing notes in secrecy" She sang, the tune still quite slow.

As Riley sang, her eyes scanned the room around her. They found the table where Dan and I sat, and rested on Dan for a second. I felt my face fall a little, and shook my head a little.

"And it was enchanting to meet you

All I can say is I was enchanted to meet you

This night is sparkling, don't you let it go

I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home

I'll spend forever wondering if you knew

I was enchanted to meet you"

The tune picked up on the chorus, Riley's skilful fingers plucking the strings at high speed. As she sang the lyrics 'I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home | I'll spend forever wondering if you knew | I was enchanted to meet you', her eyes fell on mine, managing to make my heart skip a beat even from this distance. We held eachothers gazes for almost the whole song, after that.

"The lingering question kept me up

2 AM, who do you love?

I wonder 'til I'm wide awake

And now I'm pacing back and forth

Wishing you were at my door

I'd open up and you would say, "Hey,

It was enchanting to meet you,

All I know is I was enchanted to meet you."

This night is sparkling, don't you let it go

I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home

I'll spend forever wondering if you knew

This night is flawless, don't you let it go

I'm wonderstruck, dancing around all alone

I'll spend forever wondering if you knew

I was enchanted to meet you

This is me praying that

This was the very first page

Not where the story line ends

My thoughts will echo your name

Until I see you again

These are the words I held back

As I was leaving too soon

I was enchanted to meet you" A small smile crossed Riley's face as she took her eyes from mine and looked down at her fingers strumming.

"Please don't be in love with someone else

Please don't have somebody waiting on you

Please don't be in love with someone else

Please don't have somebody waiting on you

This night is sparkling, don't you let it go

I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home

I'll spend forever wondering if you knew

This night is flawless, don't you let it go

I'm wonderstruck, dancing around all alone

I'll spend forever wondering if you knew

I was enchanted to meet you

Please don't be in love with someone else

Please don't have somebody waiting on you"

Her voice slowly faded out into the sound of her guitar, then the guitar stopped too. I looked up from where I had been staring at my hands clasped in my lap, and saw Riley staring out into the applauding audience, grinning. Was that song meant for me? It couldn't have been. Dan leant over to me in the darkness.

"Yes, I'm guessing that was for you!" He shouted over the applause.

I gaped at him. He was becoming a mind-reader lately. I blinked at him a few times before shaking my head and looking back towards the stage. Riley was now smiling shyly directly at me.

[Riley's p.o.v]

Ok, maybe I did choose that song to make an impact. I WAS enchanted to meet Phil. He DID make me feel wonderstruck. I don't know. He was something special, that guy.

"Thanks, now I'll play Little Bird by my fellow ginger, Ed Sheeran."

**

"So," I said as we all stepped out onto the pavement simultaneously. "What did you two think?"

"It was amazing! I still can't believe how you haven't been signed yet!" Dan gushed.

I smiled widely at him on my right, then turned my head to the left to see Phil.

"Was it as good as last time, Phil?" I asked quietly.

"Even better." He smiled back. "I liked Enchanted."

I blushed, glad for the darkness which hid my face from his. So he HAD noticed. I mean, I guess I was painfully obvious about it anyway, and some part of me was hoping for him to notice.

Then there was the possibility that he would take it the wrong way. I was falling for this guy, hard. I just hope he knew.

[A/N : wow ok that was short i shall have to make chapter 10 rather long :| oh hey and 1,000 reeeAAds BABY WEW PARTY HARD]