Chapter 14: The most loyal Lost Boy

Hey,
Thanks for reading. Sorry about the wait.
Please vote and comment.
Enjoy,
Annabelle_the_reader
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Tiger Lily?' I gasped, spinning around to see Peter at the edge of the cave. He frowned at me, his eyebrows knitted together in confusion. Peter Pan liked to be in control of the situation, he wasn't comfortable with people doing their own thing and certainly wasn't happy that I had both found fairy dust and found the shadow.

'Hello Pan.' I replied, wincing as I tried to think of a suitable excuse. Obviously, none came to mind. 'What are you doing here?'

'I could ask you the same question.' Peter stated as his reply, still looking at me from slightly to my left and slightly behind me. I clenched and unclenched my fists, preparing myself if Peter became angry, as I suspected. By the way he talked, looked at me and stood, I guessed he wasn't angry, just confused. But Peter Pan could flip at any moment.

'I believe I asked first.' I stated turning around to greet him. He swallowed deeply, eyeing me suspiciously. I sent him a small smile, trying to appear innocent and humble. It didn't fully work.

'I am here to see the Shadow. I want to talk to him about something in particular,' He said softly. Peter Pan was a very feared boy on the island, even the mermaids of the sea were terrified of him. And as he looked at me in that moment, he was simultaneously terrifying and confused, as he attempted to use his powerful stance to intimidate me.

'I came to see the shadow too.' I replied in monotone, my face as hard as wood.

Taking a step towards me, his eyes narrowing with suspicion and doubt, 'But he doesn't seem to be here. Do you know why? Do you know where I might find him?'

'No, I was about to ask you the same question,' I lied firmly, shaking my head as I did so to emphasise this. Malcolm could always tell when I was lying easily, but Peter Pan couldn't because he didn't know the new me as well as the old one, and I wanted to keep it that way for as long as I possibly could.

'I see.' He snapped, suddenly his face hardening in anger. He didn't believe me, but neither did he know the truth.

Quickly, I decided to change the subject away from why I was there, so I asked, 'Did you find the prisoner? Have you caught her and imprisoned her again?'

'No.' Peter replied honestly and for a moment I saw anger and annoyance flash across his eyes because Peter Pan never encountered failure and never wanted to. 'We didn't, I am led to believe she somehow managed to escape the island.'

'Escape the island?' I gasped as doubtfully as I could manage. Peter seemed to fall for this, but he didn't loosen his stance or look at me with any less vigour and doubt than before. 'How did that happen? That's impossible without help. Nobody leaves the island without your permission.'

'Which is why she had help.' Peter said sternly and he looked directly at me, trying to puzzle out whether I had anything to do with it or not. It seems that flattery doesn't always work on Peter Pan. 'But I don't know from who yet.'

'You'll find out soon enough.' I encouraged softly. 'Besides, I'm sure this girl wasn't much of a threat. Does it matter if she leaves?' Pan pondered this for a moment and eventually sighed, shaking his head in agreement with me.

Peter's face softened quite quickly, looking at me with the kindness and fondness I really saw on his face. Finally, he was beginning to decide I had no role in this.

'Take my hand,' Peter instructed me softly and I diligently obeyed. His hand was surprisingly warm and much larger than mine, so they fitted together perfectly; it was as if our hands were made just for one another.