Chapter 15: Unruly Fighting

Hey,
Thanks for reading!
I have decided to include some of the characters from the main TV series soon, but please remember that time is different in Neverland so if it seems like not much time has past in Neverland, lots of time in the world has past- if you get what I mean.
Anyway, please vote and comment as always.
Enjoy,
Annabelle_the_reader
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Ok, Boys, pick a partner and start practicing.' Peter ordered and his word was law, for as soon as he finished the last syllable, the Lost Boys were already pairing up and separating off to give other fighters adequate space.

After a good breakfast, prepared by myself as their new mother, the Lost Boys and I had all travelled to the training grounds to start learning about combat, something I already knew I would hate.

'What about me?' I squeaked, hoping he would allow me to just watch for today. I wanted to delay fighting with any of them for as long as physically possible. They had all been training for years or at least months.

'You, Tiger Lily, will be given quick and simple instructions on technique.' He said slowly and confidently. Then continued with a glimmer of excitement in his eyes, 'But I'll make it quick; we don't want to linger on the boring bits, let's just pounce straight into action as soon as possible.'

He demonstrated a few simple punches and kicks to the air, then allowed me to have a try. I tried to imitate his stance and technique as much as possible, but even this came as a challenge. But with nobody watching, I felt like I could let myself concentrate on my technique, rather than feeling his cold eyes judging me instantly.

As I throw endless punches to the air, Peter ambles slowly through the gaggle of Lost Boys, commenting on anything the boys need to improve on. Most of the time, it was the Lost Boy's battle strategy. Eventually, he reached me and paused as he inspected the way I threw the punches at the air.

His eyes scan over my body, quick and fleeting as though in an instant, he had all of the information he needed. It was a practical, scientific gaze, but it still makes my insides twist and my breath hitch. He had an uncomfortable frown as he examined me more closely, which made me nervous.

'I'm a little disappointed, Tiger Lily, you don't seem to have much muscle.' Peter said carefully and confidently, but looking at me with a slight awe in his tone. I get the feeling he's never had a new member, Lost Boy or Lost Girl, as hopeless and clueless as I was. 'But you do have bone, so use that.'

'Use it?' I whispered, the frown on my forehead never leaving as I take this conversation as an opportunity for a break.

'Exactly.' He smiles. 'Always play to your strengths and-' he walked slowly forward, lifting my arm to examine my weak, feeble muscles more closely. '-And don't let your weaknesses control you.'

I paused for a moment, contemplating his words and his arms drop to his sides, before ambling towards the next pair of fighters, 'Continue.' He said dismissively.

Something about what I was doing seemed rebelliously wrong. My heart rate picked up as I gazed at the punches I had thrown, like I was doing something hideously evil. I imagine my father, who was strict and terrifying as a child, watching me now and my stomach churns and twists. He would be angry, but most of all disappointed.

'C'mon, Tiger, watch one round and then you can have a turn,' Peter orders sternly and gestures for the first pair to come up.

Without hesitation, Alex punched Will square in the jaw and I winced, holding my breath. Will stumbled to the side clutching his jaw. As if it never happened, Will carried on, determined to defeat Alex. Using his free hand, he blocked Alex's next blow and his face scrunched up in pain. I could tell that leaving and saving a blow would both be painful experiences, maybe dodging would be the best tactic for me. I just hoped I would never have to use it.