Chapter 23: The Novel with no End

Hey,
Thanks for reading. I'm so excited- I'm almost on 2,000 reads!!
Sorry about the wait though 😁
Please vote and comment.
Enjoy,
Annabelle_the_reader
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stood there, facing the one living (ish) thing that I had known for the longest, longer even than Pan. The Shadow floated towards me, its emotionless eyes gazing blankly towards me, expecting me to talk.

I took a large step towards it, firm and controlling. Then, I stated accusingly, 'Pan has terrorised Neverland. It is dark, evil and has no beauty and life. How did you let that happen?'

The Shadow didn't seem angry, but I couldn't tell if it was. If it could, it would have sighed. 'I have done nothing, Lily, except be loyal to the island. It is your responsability, as the last remaining native, to maintain a free Neverland.'

'How?' I demanded, stamping my foot. 'Pan has much more magic than I do, especially after I gave it up for eternal youth and the ability to travel to Earth. How could I possibly defeat him alone? Neverland is destined to be like this forever!'

'Neverland's destiny is never set because there is no time.' The Shadow said slowly, sounding a little irritated even in its emotionless voice. 'You cannot say there is any "fate" or "set future" when there is no time.'

'Well then I will have to make one up.' I said firmly, then sank back down once again when I realised how immature and stupid I was being. 'I just don't know how.'

'You need recruitments, Tiger Lily.' The Shadow said in monotone. 'You need people who want to defeat Pan like you. You need to do as Pan says to gain his trust and then, when you do, you will be able to help people and they will be able to help you.'

'I don't understand.' I mumbled.

'You need to save Peter... to save Neverland.' The Shadow reported and I frowned, because it sounded so ridiculous to help someone terrorise the island in order to make it better.

I put my hands on my hips defiantly. 'And how do I do that?' I demanded fiercely.

'Despite your many years of experience, you haven't gained much intelligence, Tiger Lily.' The Shadow declared with frustration. I held my tongue and didn't bit back, wanting to drain as much information from him as he was willing to give. 'You must lose this battle to win the war.'

I took a step back in shock, my eyes widening and my lips moving with surprise and fear. 'You mean... I must submit to Pan? I must do as he says? I must find the owner of the Heart of the Truest Believer and help him locate them?'

'Exactly.' The Shadow agreed and my jaw dropped.

'But how?' I asked and, as per usual, the Shadow didn't reply at first, but let me figure it out myself. I thought long and hard for a moment, gnawing at my lower lip, before my eyes suddenly widened. 'Pan said something about falling in love...'

The Shadow nodded once, floating a little higher in the air to look at me from above. It stood upright and straight, no longer hunched forwards like before. 'Only one of requited love can locate Pan's saviour.'

'What if I don't love him enough?' I asked feebly, dropping down onto one of the rocks and putting my face in my hands. 'What if I can't love him because of what he's done? What if he doesn't love me back?'