The Empty House

A door opened on their left. A loud gasp and the boys broke apart.
Harry turned to see the two people he was dying not to see.
"Harry!" Hermione exclaimed, shocked and confused
"Malfoy?" Ron snarled, more disappointed than anything. Just as he balled fists and went to pick up a run, Hermione grabbed his collar and they vanished again with a pop.
Only silence followed.
But then everything leapt into action.
Draco was out of Harry's grasp and up the stairs in minutes. Once Harry caught up, he found half of his boyfriend's clothes in a trunk.
"They know, Harry! They know and before we know it the school will know and it will inevitably get back to my father and then...and then-" Draco stopped, frozen in thought as Harry removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes, half in frustration and half in thought.
"We can work something out." Harry tried to interrupt.
"I have to get back to school, I should be there by this evening-"
"Draco, don't-" Harry stepped towards him,
"Don't what Harry? Don't leave? They will kill me." Draco's eyes focused on Harry's and for a moment they understood perfectly.

After that everything happened quickly, Draco had packed and Sirius had come down to see what all the commotion was about. Remus came to escort Draco back to Hogwarts, and all that in the blink of an eye. Draco was gone and Harry doubted it would ever be the same, the way it had been over this holiday.
"Harry..." Sirius began, over dinner
"He had to leave," Harry stated, solemnly.  
"Yes, well I know that but I wanted to say," Sirius looked up to meet Harry's eyes "that I'm proud of you, Harry. I always have been."
"Thanks." Harry didn't look him in the eye but simply nodded in his direction before finishing his dinner and heading up the stairs to start packing his own things ready for his own departure at the end of the week.  The entire house felt empty without Draco there, Harry kept expecting to walk into the bedroom and see his boyfriend sitting with a book in his lap or in the kitchen. But every time he was disappointed. Sirius was spending more time talking to members of the Order through the fire, and every evening Remus would come and bring Harry's godfather the news about the ministry and how if there was anything new on the death eaters. Remus would often stay late, and sometimes Harry would catch glimpses of Remus leaving in the morning as he came down to eat breakfast.
"Was that Remus?" Harry asked one morning, after seeing his Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor disappear with a pop at the end of the hallway
"Yes, he...er...stayed the night," Sirius mumbled, not making eye contact with Harry
"But what about-" Harry was on the verge of asking about Remus's wife when he realised that Remus wasn't married.
"What about what?" Sirius asked, suddenly finding interest in what the boy was saying
"I think I'll be heading back to school a few days early, to get some of my homework done, could you ask Remus to apparate me?" Sirius raised his eyebrows in question.
"Are we sure you're going for study reasons or Draco reasons?" Harry stopped in the doorway and sighed.
"I don't even know, Sirius. Everything ended so suddenly, I need to see him-" Harry sighed "I just need to talk to him."
That's when Sirius laid his hand on Harry's shoulder "That boy loves you, Harry. Don't let all of this get in the way of that. Go and get him." 
"You think so?"
"I know so, I'll get Remus to take you tomorrow morning." A comforting smile spread over Harry's godfathers face as the boy made his way up the rickety old set of stairs.

Always
S.