⓪⑧

"I've given more than what I've got, I've given all of what I'm not, I've watched this war consume all that we could become (chasing my fears in the dark) but if I die before it's done, please take these words; my final thoughts, the only way to shine your light is in the dark, never let life kill your spark" ~ The Ones You Feed - Crown The Empire

I woke up to the sound of a door slamming shut. I groaned, feeling my way through the darkness to grab at my phone, which I normally put on my tall bedside table. When I didn't feel it, I internally panicked, sitting up, suddenly wide awake.

I swore colorfully, leaping out of bed and tore my pillows from my bed, trying to find my lost phone. I grumbled more profanity under my breath and ran my fingers roughly through my hair with frustration.

I immediately regretted my harsh actions when my fingers scratched the egg-like bump on the back of my head. When I shouted swears, I heard my door slowly creak open.

"Benn? Have you seen my phone?" I asked, dropping to my knees to poke my head under my bed.

A low chuckle caused me to jump, causing more abuse to go straight to my head.

"Ooh, shit! Sorry, kid." Dave's voice reached my ears, which were ringing in searing pain. I whimpered, staying on the ground, my face pressed into the carpeted floor. I then felt Dave's familiar strong hands wrap around my waist, pulling me from underneath the bed. I only held my head in my hands, I was in too much pain to think straight.

Dave crouched on the ground so he could look at me, worriedly touching at my face. "Are you okay? Where does it hurt?"

I only gestured to my head, feeling tears in my eyes.

"Gotcha." Dave replied, standing up, leaving me in a fetal position on the floor. I only cursed his name in my head, thinking he just left me to wallow in my pain alone. But I was surprised when I heard him come back into the room, once again kneeling to the ground next to me. He gently pulled me into his lap, holding a cold compress to the back of my head, firmly but gently, and handed me ibuprofen with a glass of water. "Here. You fell pretty hard last night. Sorry 'bout that."

"Why are you here?" I asked dully, too tired to be snappy with him. Dave grinned.

"Your brother was nice enough to let me stay the night."

"Mm." I muttered, rubbing my temples, last night not really coming to my memory. "Can you drive today? I know I said I wanted to drive, but I can't right now..."

"I would..." Dave began, making me open my eyes to look him over, wondering where he was going with this. "But school started a little over three hours ago. And I don't want to go in today."

My eyes widened and I stood up quickly, staggering back from the blood rushing to my head, making my knees weak. I almost fell again, but Dave caught me, also standing up in the same fashion, but he didn't fall. Lucky bastard.

"Woah there, I know I'm attractive, but I've never really had girls actually fall for me." he joked, giving me a condescending look. I rolled my eyes and steadied myself.

"I need to get to school. Benn is going to kill me." I groaned, trying to pull out clothes for me to wear that day. "Get out of here. I need to change."

"Okaaaay." Dave teased, rolling his eyes and I pushed him out. "But Benn was the one who said you could stay home."

I blinked slowly, not knowing whether or not I could trust him, but Dave sighed. "He left you a note, stupid. It's on the fridge. If you want to get changed, you should get changed for going out to the beach." Dave advised me. "You still promised me that you'd be mine for today. You can't go back on that promise, Charlie."