X

I woke up a little later than I should of today because Taylor and I stayed up talking all night through the phone. And even after he fell asleep I rested there thinking about him. So for the most part, during class I was very drowsy and cranky.

There was a tap on my shoulder after we were announced that we needed to get in pairs of only people around us. "Hey I'm Nash. My friend here--" I cut him off because I mean he acts like I don't know anything, "Aaron, yeah I know..." I signaled my hands for him to go on. "My table partner isn't here and yours isn't either. Want to be..." I kind of rolled my eyes at how we've never talked and now he just wants to be partners because there are no others.

"If you promise to not leave me hanging, maybe we could be partners." I smiled. "Mhmm, I like your attitude. Come sit here." He grinned. I got off my seat and pulled the chair out for myself. "Ah, ah, ah, no... On here." He smirked and patted his lap.

I glare at him, "You may of heard of the stories in the past and what I've done. But I'm telling you, that is. not. how. I roll anymore. Got it?" I leaned my elbows on the high desk. "Now if you still want me to be your partner, I'd be glad to, and I'll sit right here." He looked shocked and somewhat impressed at my snappy comment.

"Wow the first time we talk, and you tell me off. Much respect." He sticks his hand out. "Well I've always wanted to talk to you but never knew how. You never bothered to look my way or anything. I mean, I don't make it a big deal but uh, yeah... Didn't think you knew me anyways."

"Your name, is Shawn.. I know you. You shouldn't be afraid to talk to me, well now you shouldn't. We're lab partners." Nash had this thick strand of hair that bothered me and I just wanted to move it away from his eye and tuck it behind his ear. I stood against it.

He started writing his name on our shared paper. I really liked his writing. "Mind writing my name?" I smiled as he started writing. "Oh it's Mendes, with an S." I laughed it off as he shuddered, rushingly erasing his mistake.

"Wanna hang out during lunch, Mendez?" He emphasized the 'Z' sound as an inside joke of when he wrote my name incorrectly. "Uhm.. yeah, okay." I smiled. Since Taylor hung out with someone yesterday, I decided what's wrong for me to have somebody.

Although, I can't help but feel like a terrible friend. One day were on, then another day we just fail each other as friends. It makes me feel terrible.

"So what's with you?" Nash asks. "For what?" I was compelled and confused of what to answer and wasn't sure. "Notice, you've been late... skipping school, pretty like upset. It isn't like you." I took that in and wondered how he noticed all of that stuff. "Nash you don't know me." I sighed.

He put my pencil down when I was writing some answers. His hand covered the book, giving me no way to ignore him so I would focus on him instead of our work. "I would like to get to know you, Shawn."

••••

I met up with Taylor during break while continuously texting Matt today about Nash and how weird it was for some random guy to just want to talk to me out of now where.

"Hey Tay..." he went up to hug me which wasn't always so common but well it just happened right now. "Hello my Shawnie."

"Uhmm.. so, I can't hang out with you during lunch?" I spoke with more of a questionable tone as I closed knee he because I didn't want to see his reaction.

"Are you trying to get me back for yesterday? Come on Shawn. It was one thing!" He started to roll his eyes. "I swear, ever since we've been trying to get our own lives, everything has been steering off so negative. What's wrong with our friendship." The audibility of his voice decreasing as he combed his hands through his hair.