XI

I saw Taylor walking home as I was on the drive with my mom to go to the craft store. "Mom. Can we pull over to Tay?" I asked her as she agreed since it was in the evening. I whistled to him, he looked, and went back to kicking a lone rock on the pavement in his direction.

"Mom help." I sighed. "Taylor get in here or else I'll let your mother know that I caught you buying drugs in the street." His eyes lit up to my moms speech as he hurried on in and sat in the back seat behind her. Well first he sat behind my moms seat but made eye contact with me through mirror so he end up sitting behind me.

Yes, things were awkward because we haven't talked in a week, ever since he walked out of class so suddenly. We've been breaking apart and you'd expect us to bond more due to senior year but it was the complete opposite.

I was currently getting some supplies to help out with prom decoration. That was in a month but the committee wanted to get ready early, at least so we wouldn't stress out as much after we got back from our senior trip.

My mom pulled up at the parking lot and told us boys to get out so she could go to the grocery store. "Can I come with?" Taylor asked. The idea of him rather wanting to be with my mom than me caused an ache in my chest. I flickered my eyes in her gaze. "Taylor, Shawn needs help holding paint. I'm just getting veggies."

"Holds that big ego of his... what's so hard about carrying paint." I heard him mumble as he got out of my moms car. "Excuse me?" I said in his direction. "Look, I was doing you a favor okay. You looked like you needed some company or a ride home. Where is your car anyways? Who cares. Come inside, it's cold." I blabbered not caring if he answered at all.

I walked and looked at the fake flowers. They were so magnificent and I still imagine how prom will be as I get to have my own flowers and maybe put that king crown on my head.

"You were here for paint..." Taylor remarks obnoxiously. "Right." I hated this new Taylor. I grabbed reach of his hand and surprisingly he didn't let go. "If you don't like my company, at least act like it.. nobody doesn't want a contagious bad mood because of your facial expression."

I walked hand in hand with Taylor as we went toward the paint. I loved seeing all these different colors and brand bottles, then there were these brushes, wow.

I bent down and looked for the pastel colors because we had a soft baby type of colored theme for our prom. "That one is nice." Taylor mentioned pointing to the one in my hand. "I know.. it reminds me of, never mind." I felt embarrassed to speak up. "Of what?" I sighed not wanting to bring up a memory. "Your bedsheets."

I began blushing before sitting on my butt and observing the other colors. "My bedsheets hmm? For a second I thought you were going to say Sammy's hair." My mouth dropped as I hit him on the left side. "I didn't think you'd go there! Haha!" I rested my head on his shoulder. "Don't ever bring up that platinum haired kid again okay." He put his arm over me and brought me closer. "I promise to never bring up any other boy ever again."

Taylor began to come a little closer as he licked his lips. I saw his head leaning in but I couldn't look him in eye eyes, instead I looked down before squirting the paint in the air, aiming his face.

"HOUHH, SHAWN!" He yelled using my shirt to wipe his face. His head was literally down by my crotch as he grabbed the end of my shirt, revealing my belly. "That's how you want to play?" He crawled a little farther from me, grabbing all these neon colors, uncapping them and squeezing them in my direction.

Colors of pink, yellow, and green splattered my shirtless body as I filled him with red, blue, and purple. We started laughing immensely until he slipped and tugged onto an apron. That apron was hung on an aisile with brushes which all came crashing down on us.

We didn't notice how big of a mess we made until the security and workers came over to and shrieked. The pale, dull floor and shelves now became a rainbow puke party. "Sorry!" I yelped. The guard grabbed my by the arm, and Taylor by his backpack as we left a trail of paint leading to the back room.

"You can either settle this by cleaning up or go to court and pay a fine." He announced and I told them I would clean up. I had to text my mom that we'd be staying longer than expected but of course she'd wonder why were we splattered in paint.

There was one message already on my screen. "Hey someone saw you playing with paint at the store. Committee says your banned from helping. Way to go get paint Shawn! Thanks... now we have to get paint ourself." I read. Who is even here to call me out. I was raged and upset. I walked and grabbed a mop staying quiet.

"Shawn?" I didn't want to answer Taylor. He came over to me and licked the tip of his thumb. "Do you mind?" I shook my head. His saliva filled thumb was rubbing under my eyes, my cheeks, and jaw. "Hehe, some extra paint." His eyes burned into mine as I couldn't look away from him, noticing every feature. "There's some paint there too..." he pointed to my lips. With a quick instinct, no hesitation, I placed my lips onto his, making the mold together and hopefully taking the paint off. "Uh, well that's a way to get it off." Taylor shrugged as he walked off. I heard a movement behind me and looked at the security mirror above us. Taylor was jumping in place as he did high knees.

I wasn't the only one having butterflies and raging hormones about our kiss.

"So.. I wanted to apologize. We always fight." I started. "No. Drop it. You're busy. I get it. You need a date before prom. Yes. I can't stop you from talking to other guys. I need to apologize." Taylor was so sincere and this is how our fights always went. We even fought about who was more sorry. I hate us, but love us so much.

"I wanted to tell you that I'm kicked off committee.. I won't help with prom." I sighed roughly mopping to get my anger out. "It's okay though." I said.

He came over and hugged me. "If they want to do that fine. But maybe we'll make our own prom committee and you can be leader." Taylor always knew ways to make me oh so happy. One day I hope I can tell him how I feel, even though he already knows it. At least, I'm sure he knows.

We spent our whole time cleaning the aisle we messed around at. I bought us some plain white tee shirts so there would be no interrogations with my mom later. We threw the paint stained ones in Taylor's backpack before getting into the car.

"No paint? What happened..." My mom asked curiously. "Ah no. They don't need it anymore. or me..." I whispered the last part in shame.

We drove along and I told my mom that Taylor should just spend the night since it was already seven and she agreed.

"It's been three months since you've been here." I walked up the stairs with Taylor following. I told him that he should shower first and I'll just either be to lazy to or maybe go after him. "We could shower together?.." I stared at him, mentally I was like hell to the fuck yeah, but physically I gave him a blunt, "Ha, no."

••••

"Want to know why I don't have my car anymore?" Taylor whispered as he tugged on my waist. "They told me I wasn't allowed to drive until I talked to you." I gasped as I turned my face in his direction. "It's true. They thought I became socially awkward, my teachers have been thinking I've gone depressed. I didn't show up to my sports practices. And it's funny because they instantly knew my reason for unhappiness." I heard him do a little sneer in the dark. "They said and I quote, are you and Shawn not talking, unquote."

"I love you." I melted into the word love as I stretched out the saying of it just for emphasis. It was nice to say it and mean it. Especially when you're saying it to someone who means so much.

Taylor kissed my forehead. "I love you." He giggled. "A lot." .. "Maybe more than you love me." .. "More than I love me." .. "I love you so much Shawn."

And with that, I let him defeat me.

08/01 - 11