Chapter 18

- Louis -

When I wake up the next morning, I feel sad that Rose wasn't sound asleep beside me. So, I get up and shower, get dressed, then walk across the hall. I knock on the door and wait, but when nothing comes I sigh and decide to let her sleep.

"You're up late," Liam states when I walk into the kitchen.

I plop into the seat at the table in the back of the kitchen. "I couldn't sleep well, but Rose still isn't awake." I say.

Liam's expression changes momentarily, then returns to a reserved look. "That's unusual." he says.

I raise an eyebrow. "Liam..."

"Louis." He retorts.

"What do you know that I don't?" I demand.

He shrugs, keeping his lips closed just as Zayn walks in. When Zayn's honey colored eyes meet mine, they widen and he turns around to scuffle right back out of the kitchen. I glare at Liam before standing abruptly out of my chair and then hurrying back upstairs.

I knock on Rose's door again. "Rose, I'm coming in." I warn, turning the knob and entering the semi dark bedroom.

My eyebrows furrow together as I flick on the lights and find the room completely empty. I glance around, everything was left just as if Rose was a figment of my imagination. That is, until I glance at the desk and see an envelope with my name scrawled on it.

Cautiously, I walk over to the desk with wondering eyes and take a seat, hoping that this was some kind of prank. Letting out a hesitant sigh, I pick up the envelope and pull out a letter.

Dear Louis,

I know that I was the one that suggested that we try to work things out, but I've finally realized something: we're just not right for each other; we're just not compatible. I think that last night, the wedding, and the night of the wedding, proved that. Not that I'm blaming you for what happened. I suppose that we just never were really meant to be together. So this time, instead of chasing after a happiness that we're just not going to find together, let's end things now, before things get worse again.

We've tried to work things out so many times over the last few months but nothing ever changes. Again, it's no one's fault. We are the way we are: headstrong, passionate, and stubborn. Anyway, these similarities that give us our independent spirits and initially drew us together seem to be the very characteristics that always drive a wedge between us. The beautiful makeup episodes that always follow don't make it any better. We still come back to the same thing: neither one of us can bend on the issues that are really important to us, and there are just too many crucial things that we can't see eye to eye on.

So I'm done this time, Louis. By the time you get this letter, I'll already be gone. Please don't try to contact me. I've made up my mind, and even your sweet talk, persuasive as it is, won't make me change my mind this time. I'm getting off this roller coaster ride once and for all.

I'm truly sorry for the pain that this breakup will cause you. It's not going to be easy for me either, believe me. I really wish things didn't have to be this way, but you'll see that I'm right in ending our relationship. It just won't work. Someday, I know, you'll agree that it was the best thing for both of us.

Whatever happens, I wish you well. You truly do deserve the best that life has to offer you. Please know that I do love you, and a part of me always will.