Ch. 1: Dreams Come True

“Louis! I’m home!” I called out as I walked into our flat. I set my purse down on the kitchen counter and walked back to our bedroom where I found the bathroom door closed and the shower running. Louis was singing at the top of his lungs How to Save a Life by The Fray. I walked in and said, “Hey!”

“Hello, love! I’ll be right out! How was the interview?” he asked from behind the curtain. I had just gotten back from an interview with a publishing company. My dream was to be an editor and after working at Words & Tea for a while, I got to know some of our suppliers for different books we would get in to sell. Also, my boss, Judy, is well connected at different publishing houses, so after getting a few strings pulled, I was able to get a high recommendation and promising interview at Page Break Publishing.

“It went really well! I was accepted on the spot! I’m officially an editor!” I exclaimed. The water got turned off and Louis stepped out to give me a massive bear hug.

“Congratulations, babe!” he said sincerely. I laughed, acutely aware of his naked body pressed against my clothed one. He kissed me and said, “Hopefully our good luck will continue! We’re engaged, you got your job, now I just need to get my job!”

          He started drying off and pulled some clothes on.

“You’ll get it. You’re well known at school, and you’ve made the right friends. You’re going to do great!” I encouraged. Louis was finishing up his last year at drama school, and he had his own interview tomorrow to get a teaching position there. It was amazing how all our dreams were coming true. Not only were we pursuing our dream jobs, and had each other, but One Direction was doing well with the gigs they did every now and then, and we had wonderful friends.

          In fact, “You better hurry up, Lou, otherwise we’ll be late for dinner!” I said, checking the time. We were getting together with all our friends tonight to tell them the good news about our engagement.

“Almost done!” he said, rubbing his towel against his head to dry his hair off more. I changed into some more casual clothes from my professional ones, and fixed my hair and makeup. Louis used my blow dryer to finish getting rid of any water from his hair and we were ready. In no time we were in his dark green mini cooper driving to the restaurant where our friends awaited us. I admired the simple little engagement ring on my left hand and smiled as it gleamed in the passing streetlights.

“Did I do okay in picking it out?” Louis asked glancing over at me.

“You did perfect,” I assured, and he really did. I’ve always preferred simple jewelry, and this ring was beautiful.

          Soon enough we pulled up to the front of the restaurant and found all our friends already sitting at a long table in the back. They waved us over with smiles and shouts of “Hellos!” and “How are yous?!”

Louis sat at the head of the table and I seated myself to his right. Next to me were Perrie and Zayn. They had met at school and have been dating for almost a year now. Perrie was a great girl and she always knew just how to liven up a party. Zayn was a great guy and took the time to listen to every side of a situation before giving his input on it.

          Sitting across from us was Niall and Ashley. Niall was probably thee sweetest guy I have ever met. When Ashley’s family store burnt down and her mother died of cancer, he was there for her, and more recently when her father, Tobias passed. Tobias hadn’t been the same since his wife died, and often didn’t speak or acknowledge anyone’s existence. I thought having him live with his old navy buddy, Fred, who was also my old landlord, would help, but it didn’t. Three months after the big fire, Tobias died in his sleep. Ashley’s relationship was strained with him, and though she was sad to see him go, it was also a relief. He had become a vegetable in his last months on his own accord – saying that he just wanted to observe life instead of live it. I think he really wanted to just hurry up and die. He didn’t see a life worth living after his wife passed.