Ch. 13: Where are you going?

A/N: Dedicated to Monica because I love her comments and she just seems like a great person overall. 

Enjoy!

The next day I left for work early, before Louis and Danielle woke up. I left a note saying I had a lot of work to get caught up on, but really I just didn’t want to be around them. I brushed Louis off last night, and didn’t tell him what happened with Liam.

          Did I do something wrong? I didn’t kiss him back, but does it still put me at risk of cheating? I’ve never felt that way about Liam, and I think he was just drunk, but…what if…I mean I could see how it would make sense. He is hesitant to propose if he has feelings for another girl…for me…

Oh gosh, what am I going to do?!

          Work dragged on, but I was okay with that. The longer I stayed in the office the longer I could avoid Louis and Dani. But on my lunch break I had an unwelcome visit.

A knock sounded at my door and I looked up to see Jay come in holding two bags of Starbucks bags and two drinks.

“Hello, dear! How are you?” she smiled at me.

“Erm…good, yeah, how are you?” I asked. Did she know? Could she read it on my face? Oh gosh, I bet she knows….

          Jay sat down across from me and handed me a drink and a bag. “I got you a mocha breve and a peanut butter cookie,” she smiled. Ugh, was she trying to kill me with kindness?

“Thanks,” I replied and took my stuff.

“How is work? I thought I would stop by and see how you were since we haven’t seen each other much since your parent’s divorce,” she said.

“Oh yeah, work is fine. I’m fine. Everything is fine,” I replied with a forced smile.

“Are you sure?”

“Erm, yeah, just a lot of stuff to do. Busy, busy, busy!” I said.

“Oh well, do you want me to let you get back to work?”

          Ugh, I loved Jay, I didn’t want to just shoo her out after she bought me Starbucks. But everyone knew how bad of a liar I was, I couldn’t stay around her too long without her getting me to crack.

“Yeah, I hate to say it, but that might be best,” I winced at my statement.

“No worries,” she smiled understandingly and added before leaving, “Oh, the twins are with Louis today. They don’t have school for the day.”

“With Louis? At his job?” I asked confused.

“No…he took the day off. Something about not getting enough sleep…don’t you know?” Jay replied, surprised I didn’t know my own fiancés plans for the day.

“Oh! That’s right. I forgot,” I laughed nervously.

“Thanks for the coffee and cookie…” I added.

“Anytime, don’t work too hard, remember it’s okay to cheat and take a little break here and there,” she winked before leaving.

          Oh gosh, she knew! She has to! Who says that?! Oh man…I sighed in frustration and pushed my coffee aside. If I drank it, it would make me more jittery than I already am. I pushed my chair away from my desk and paced around, unable to control my anxiety.

          What do I do? Cry in the fetal position under my desk for the rest of my life sounded like a reasonable solution, but somehow I didn’t feel like that would work out too well. Zayn came in without knocking and instantly picked up on my anxious vibe.