Ch. 16: The Club

“How was visiting back home?” I asked Katrina. It was the day after she got back and she was sitting around with me and Louis and Harry while the thunderstorm outside boomed and roared on.

“It wasn’t bad…I just hate how I have to be a totally different person around everyone in my family,” she sighed. We were alike in the sense that our families are very similar and we were both the odd ones out. Though, as daring and extreme as Katrina can be, she always hid that side of herself better than I could to my family. Even though it caused countless fights between my parents and I, at least I never had to worry about being two people. Katrina just couldn’t let her parents down if they ever found out how she really was.

          When around them she was quiet, mild-mannered – much like how I always thought Audrey to be. But they would never know about the tattoo she got on her thigh, or about that time that I had to bail her out of jail for being at an illegal rave. They would never guess their little girl would have tried smoking (she took one inhale and swore to never do it again. She felt like she was going to die.) or even how she dressed when not around them.

          It wasn’t anything bad, just the usual modern trends, but her parents were conservative, and thought anything above the knee was too short, and if cleavage showed you might as well have your boobs hang out for all to see. She had a few outfits set aside for when she was around them, and I think she felt as if a great weight was lifted off her shoulders when she moved here. It meant no more Friday night dinners every week at her parent’s house, or being set up on dates with nice boys from church. She convinced her parents it would be good for her to study over here, and it was. She’s grown a lot and become more responsible. She doesn’t go raving anymore or try harmful things, she knows what she likes and what her limits are and she doesn’t have people breathing down her back about what to do next or how to do it.

          “Well, you’re back now, and you don’t have to worry about being anyone other than the lovely Kat that you are,” Louis said with a smile.

“Thank God! We should go out tonight, what do you all say? Round up the usual gang and go to a club or something,” she suggested.

“I’m in!” Harry piped up. Louis nodded his head too and I said, “I’ll shoot everyone a text.”

          Harry and Katrina left to go get ready and everyone agreed on meeting up around ten at the usual club we went to.

Clubbing was never my favorite activity, though sometimes it did sound fun, but I went because most everyone else liked to go and I wasn’t going to be the odd one out.

“We can leave a little early if you’d like,” Louis offered, knowing how I felt.

“No that’s fine, we haven’t gone in a while, let loose a little. I know I need to, especially with the dress shopping I’ll have to do tomorrow…” I muttered the last part.

          It’s strange isn’t it? Going wedding dress shopping was usually one of the biggest things a bride looks forward to, but I’ve been putting it off for as long as I can.

I know it may sound silly, but the things my mother said still lingered in the back of my mind every time the thought of dress shopping came up.

What if I didn’t find anything that looked good on me? She was right after all, wedding pictures get handed down to generations. Even if my dress is out of fashion 50 years from now, I still want to look good in it.

          I looked around at what I had to wear and decided on a simple yellow dress that hugged my body nicely and went with the black pumps I paired with it. Louis came out of the bathroom and gawked a little, but I just ignored him, and went to go put some make up on.