Ch. 18: Counseling

18

          A/N: So I want your opinion, when we get to the wedding, do you want it to be one long chapter including the wedding and the reception, or do you want a chapter for the wedding and a chapter for reception?

          I couldn’t believe it. We had one month until the wedding. One flipping month. Where the crap did all the time go? It was only eight months ago that we were telling everyone. In a couple weeks I would have my bachelorette party, Louis would have his bachelors…oh my goodness. And work has been so busy, and I’ve hardly had time to see my friends or family. Louis is done with school for the Summer, so he’s been really good about having dinner ready when I get home and being really supportive when I have deadlines to meet. Today was a particularly stressful day because I just barely made my deadline, but I don’t feel like I did a very good job, so I was worried that manuscript might come back to bite me in the butt.

          I sighed and walked through the front door and was met by the wonderful smell of chicken alfrado. Louis popped his head from around the entrance that lead into the kitchen and said, “Hey, Jov!” I dropped my purse down on the ground and shuffled over to him with a frown on my face. He embraced me warmly and I said in a whiny voice, “You made my favorite dinner.”

“Because you’re my favorite person!”

“You’re wonderful.”

“I know.”

“When will it be ready?”

“Now.”

“I love you.”

“I love you too.”

I gave a loud and obnoxious sigh, earning a chuckle from Louis before going to serve my plate up.

          Once we were on the couch and eating, Louis said, “So…I’ve been thinking…”

“Mhm?” I said, taking a huge mouthful.

“Do you think we should have been doing pre-marital counseling?”

I swallowed and asked, “Why, is something wrong? Do we need to talk about things? Are you unhappy? Have I been complaining too much about work? I’ll stop-“

“-Jovi, it’s fine, you’re fine, I just overheard these two ladies in Words & Tea today – because I was visiting Judy – and they were saying how couples who do premarital  counseling have lower divorce rates, so I just wondered if that was something you would be interested in…”

          “Are you worried we will get a divorce?” I asked.

“Well no…but I mean…both our parents have divorced, so aren’t you a little more cautious?”

“I guess I never thought of it before now…” I trailed off.

We sat in silence for a while, the only sound being our chewing.

“We can go. I can set up an appointment…is there anything you have in particular that you want to talk about?” I said.

“I don’t know…maybe things will come up when the counselor starts asking questions,” he replied thoughtfully.

          I was slightly surprised Louis wanted to do counseling, I mean I know it’s just to make us stronger, but do we really need it? Would we end up like our parents? I couldn’t think of ever divorcing him, but I suppose no one ever plans that at the start of their relationship. I finished my plate of dinner and pulled my laptop out from the side of the couch to research marriage therapists nearby.