11. Tom's Secret Hide Room

"Crucio."

The pain was so intense, so all-consuming, that she no longer knew where she was... white-hot knives were piercing every inch of her skin, her head was surely going to burst with pain; she was screaming more loudly than she'd ever screamed in her life. Bellatrix's torture compared to this was nothing. Her vision was blurry with the swelling of tears threatening to fall, but Hermione pushed them away, refusing to give him the satisfaction of seeing her cry. She shut her mouth, muffling her screams; her teeth digging sharply and painfully against her lips; she was sure she could taste blood already. The distinguish image of his face, lowered itself closer to her own. He glared furiously at her before tracing his wand up her chest, excruciatingly slowly and stopping at the base of her neck. 

"You fool", he snarled. "Perhaps, my own abilities will reveal to me your secrets."

His dark eyes locked on hers and Hermione was sure he was going to read her mind; she felt so weak, so helpless, there was nothing she could do to prevent it. She felt him magically navigating through the many layers of her mind, his eyes dilating and her vision getting consumed by darkness.

A very purple-faced, still moustached, still looking furious at the nerve of a small boy, carrying an owl in a cage in a station full of ordinary people, stood impatiently waiting for him.

"You must be Harry's family!" said a plump, red haired woman.

"In a manner of speaking," said fat man said. "Hurry up, boy, we haven't got all day." He walked away. Harry hung back for a last word with Ron and Hermione. "See you over the summer, then."

"Hope you have -- err -- a good holiday," said Hermione, looking uncertainly after Uncle Vernon, shocked that anyone could be so unpleasant. "Oh, I will," said Harry, and they were surprised at the grin that was spreading over his face. "They don't know we're not allowed to use magic at home. I'm going to have a lot of fun with Dudley this summer..."

"THE DARK LORD LIES ALONE AND FRIENDLESS, ABANDONED BY HIS FOLLOWERS. HIS SERVANT HAS BEEN CHAINED THESE TWELVE YEARS. TONIGHT, BEFORE MIDNIGHT...THE SERVANT WILL BREAK FREE AND SET OUT TO REJOIN HIS MASTER. THE DARK LORD WILL RISE AGAIN WITH HIS SERVANT'S AID, GREATER AND MORE TERRIBLE THAN EVER HE WAS. TONIGHT...BEFORE MIDNIGHT...THE SERVANT...WILL SET OUT...TO REJOIN...HIS MASTER..."

HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED RETURNS

'In a brief statement on Friday night, Minister for Magic Cornelius Fudge confirmed that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named has returned to this country and is once more active.'

"It is with great regret that I must confirm that the wizard styling himself Lord--well, you know who I mean--is alive and among us again," said Fudge, looking tired and flustered as he addressed reporters. "It is with almost equal regret that we report the mass revolt of the dementors of Azkaban, who have shown themselves averse to continuing in the Ministry's employ. We believe the dementors are currently taking direction from Lord-- Thingy.

"Look... Look at it, Hermione..."

"I don't... oh!"

They could see it; the Fidelius Charm must have died with James and Lily. The hedge had grown wild in the sixteen years since Hagrid had taken Harry from the rubble that lay scattered amongst the waist-high grass. Most of the cottage was still standing, though entirely covered in the dark ivy and snow, but the right side of the top floor had been blown apart; that, Harry was sure, was where the curse had backfired. He and Hermione stood at the gate, gazing up at the wreck of what must once have been a cottage just like those that flanked it.