1O. Battle of Hogwarts, 1945 [Part 1]

The winds reached howling point and the rain fell harder than ever. It was so dark inside the corridors and classrooms that extra torches and lanterns were lit. The Gryffindor team was looking very smug, as they rushed down the halls and outside, toward the Quidditch pitch. Hermione fought her way through the waves of cheering students, who were all waving either blue and silver, or red and bronze banners in the air. Successfully reaching the South Tower and searching for class 99, she let out a sigh of relief upon noticing 'TRANSFIGURATION' was carved neatly on the last door to the left. Hufflepuff and Slytherin students were walking out of the classroom. When the last 4th year Slytherin student walked out, throwing her a very condescending smirk upon glancing at her Ravenclaw robes, she dashed inside the chilly room.

The large, square-sized room was dimly lit and scattered with three lines of desks, where piles of books stood neatly on top of them. The word 'Animagus' was written on the chalk board, where a big chair and messy desk stood. But the teacher was nowhere to be seen.

Then she felt a cold breeze on the back of her neck and a book jumped in the air, crashing to the ground with a loud thud, - Peeves the Poltergeist, had been floating next to her, blowing hard in her ear.

"Peeves? What was that for?" said Hermione furiously. Peeves puffed out his cheeks, blew hard, and zoomed toward the chalk board, cackling. Hermione groaned. "Peeves, I'm looking for Dumbledore. Where is he?"

"Well he ain't here, is he? You silly girl." He hovered toward her once more, puffing out his transparent, lifeless chest and blowing at her hair. Hermione shrieked, covering her face with her hands; the air was icy and it felt like it was cutting through her skin. "S-stop. That's enough."

She took out her wand and aimed it at the poltergeist. "Aqua Eructo."

A jet of clear water shot out from the tip of her wand. Peeves let out a loud chuckle, hovering away from the water and disappearing through the walls. Rushing out of the classroom, her robes swinging with each movement, Hermione began to make her way toward Dumbledore's office. A loud roaring sound came from afar, followed by a swarm of glowing lights in the forest; it appeared the lights were coming closer and closer to Hogwarts. Hermione jumped away from the window, her pace fastening down the flight of stairs.

The trees reached high in the sky, casting shadows onto the grass below as each hooded figure marched toward their target with menacing, rotten smiles and their wands illuminating the air. Gellert Grindelwald and Ariana Dumbledore were leading the way. Loud cheers were audible from their position and they were able to see students and teachers seating down on the bleachers as the players flew on their broomsticks, circling the pitch as a warm up.

"A Quidditch game?" bellowed Grindelwald angrily, eyes snapping toward a slightly slouched Ariana. "I thought I had made it clear when I said everyone was to be inside the castle, when the time of our attack comes."

"Neither Albus nor Dippet informed me of an upcoming match," She bowed her head down shamefully, throwing a deathly glare at a wizard laughing silently, behind Grindelwald. "How was I to know?"

"This may ruin everything for me," Grindelwald was livid. His bright eyes narrowed at the Quidditch pitch from afar. "How can I be certain Tom Riddle isn't somewhere on those bleachers? I need him inside. I need that ring."

Ariana composed herself, a small satisfied smirk growing on her lips. "Your Highness," She bowed slightly. "Tom Riddle isn't like any other young wizard. His mind is elsewhere but that game. Do put your faith in me." She took a small, daring step toward the ranging man, caressing his features with a gloved hand. "Have I ever failed you?"