19. False Protection

'They've promised that dreams can come true

But forget to mention that nightmares are dreams, too'

The hallway was large, dimly lit, and sumptuously decorated, with a magnificent carpet covering most of the stone floor. The eyes of the pale-faced portraits on the wall followed Hermione as she wandered around. Glancing around the familiar whereabouts, a loud gasp managed to escape her when her eyes landed on a man with greasy black hair, black eyes and light skinSeverus Snapeand he was accompanied by another man; another deatheater. The two halted at a heavy wooden door leading into the next room, hesitated for the space of a heartbeat, then Snape turned the bronze handle; Hermione following hastily behind.

However, the door slammed close on her and no matter how hard she tried to pry it open, it was to no avail. She continued wandering the long corridor and came to a sharp stop in front of a wooden door. She cautiously entered the room, which was full of statues and portraits of previous owners of the place. Illumination came from a roaring fire beneath a handsome marble mantelpiece surmounted by a gilded mirror. She traced her fingers upon a golden clock that sat proudly on top of a small shelf.

"I must say," a high, clear voice sounded from behind her. Hermione's body went limp, the breath was caught up on her throat. "It is a pleasure to see you here." Hermione slowly turned to face a pair of red eyes. "Voldemort." She gasped atrociously. Voldemort's lipless mouth curved into something like a smile.