O7. For the Greater Good

They spent the rest of the lesson taking notes on the Unforgivable Curse. No one spoke until the bell rang - but when Ariana had dismissed them and they had left the classroom, a torrent of talk burst forth. Most people were discussing what had happened in awed voices - "Can you believe that Ravenclaw girl actually won against Riddle?" and "She probably comes from Durmstrang, I'm telling you. They teach you Dark Magic there!"

Hermione reckoned people would start talking, it was Hogwarts! -people know everything about everyone.

"The way she talked," Patrick muttered as he hobbled out of the classroom. "It's almost as if we were all going to be attacked any second."

"Hurry up," Hermione said tensely to Penelope and Patrick, not wanting to deal with the looks and the gossip around them.

"Not going to share your secret with us?" said Penelope.

"Secret?" said Hermione curtly, leading the way down the long corridor. "What secret? What are you talking about?"

"Oh you know," Patrick blabbed in an unnaturally high voice. "How you managed to win over Riddle with that curse-" He stopped, eyeing her closely. "Do you really come from Durmstrang?"

Hermione gave him a startled look.

"What? - No-" she shrieked with an insulted expression. "It's a very powerful curse. Very difficult to resist. You heard Professor Ariana, even the greatest wizard might find it difficult."

There was a sudden snapping noise at the end of the corridor, where there was nothing but darkness to welcome them. The three friends shared a small look of concern before slowly walking toward the source of the sound.

"I'm scared. Let's go back." Muttered Patrick, his nails digging on Penelope's skin as he gripped her arm. She winced, slapping his hand away and earning a small scowl from Hermione.

"Quiet."

Patrick's eyes widened in a terrified look as he read over the words carved on the wooden door before them; it read 'Ariana Dumbledore', it was her office. "We should really go." He muttered once more, and before Hermione could protest, the chubby boy jogged away, pulling Penelope with him. 

She gave a apologizing look to Hermione who sighed, watching her friend's retreating figures, before walking closer to the door. She slowly leaned her ear against the wood, trying make out any sound from within the room.

"Eavesdropping on Professors now, are we Lockhart?" Riddle's voice sounded from behind her, making her jump inside her skin. "Really think Ariana Dumbledore is stupid enough as to not use an Imperturbable Charm?"

"Well, Riddle" She snapped. "As a matter of fact, I happen to be standing here on one purpose and one purpose only," she watched as he grew with interest, his eyes narrowing ever so slightly as he waited for her to continue.

"Which is?"

"Well, I was -" She was baffled. Behind Tom's figure, a shadow could be seen growing larger and larger as it neared them. Acting on her instinct, she pulled Tom with her, hiding behind a statue, both quiet as the sound of footsteps echoed: elegant and soft footsteps, - Ariana.

The woman reached her office's door, unlocking it and joining a man that happened to be already sitting by her desk, his back to them. "Ever heard of the Bedazzling Hex?" Tom whispered next to her, only to earn a confused look. He grimaced, "Of course you haven't."

Before she could ask what he had meant with that, Tom placed both their hoods on their heads, grabbing his wand and muttering a spell. Before her eyes, their cloaks began to lose colour gradually, until the clothing and themselves were invisible. She remembers now, when Xenophilius Lovegood had told her, Harry and Ron this spell was used among others, within the creation of the Invisibility Cloak. Problem was, it would only last a few hours.