O8. Betrayal of the Youngster

Bright emerald green flames erupted as high as the fireplace's ceiling, illuminating the dimly lit room with its warmth. Out of the flames marched dozens of wizards, all dressed in black, dusty robes and pointy hoods. The wizards gathered in a semi-circle around the fireplace, bowing their heads as the last one stepped out, ceasing the flames behind him. The Wizard removed his hood, revealing his golden hair. Ariana Dumbledore had risen from her seat and was now standing before the ravishing man, bowing her head as a sign of respect as well. Grindelwald smiled.

"Dear, Ariana," he spoke, using his bony index finger to raise her chin. "You have proved yourself to be more valuable than your brother."

Ariana's smile broadened. The wizards had risen now, standing tall and proud before their master, eyes locked on him as he paced, hands behind his back, the Elder Wand held tight on his fingers.

"We have discussed this plan for the previous week," he began, his Bulgarian accent deeper with each syllable. "Since my old friend Albus has decided not to join us in our quest, " He stopped, his back facing them as he stared out the window and to the castle up the hill. "By all means," He turned to face them once more, the shadows of the room adorning his face as he spoke, the moon casting its light on his hair, giving him a harsh look. "Use the necessary strength."

The wizards let out an eerie laugh, wands casting spells left and right as they marched out the room and downstairs. Ariana growled at them, snatching the wand of a man closer to her, who had cast the Reductor Curse on a picture frame. "OUT." She bellowed, brown eyes in narrowed slits.

The Wizard, though well-built, cowered at her demanding figure, following the rest of Grindelwald's army down the spiral stairs. She stared down at the frame in her hands, her slim fingers caressing the broken shards of the glass. Behind it, in black and white, a woman could be seen, smiling at the camera, a baby held carefully in her arms as she rocked back and forth on an old chair. Kendra Dumbledore, her mother, had jet black hair which she tended to wear in a high bun, dark eyes, high cheekbones, and a straight nose. During a fit when she was fourteen years old, Ariana caused a magical explosion that killed her mother. Her older brother Albus then became her guardian. But they had different ways to see the world. She preferred Aberforth, their older brother, over him. Aberforth always found a way to calm her down in her periods of range. But not that day, for he wasn't home. He was with Albus.

She dropped the frame on the table with a loud thud, quickly averting her gaze away from it. Gellert was standing by the door frame, gesturing for her to walk ahead of him. She threw him a bright smile, descending down the stairs, her heels tapping against the wood as she went. The bar they were located at was called Hog's Head, owned by Aberforth Dumbledore himself. She reached the end of the stairs, looking around with a blank expression as the Wizards kept shooting spells back and forth, destroying the place, fighting over drinks and duelling each other.

The area was small, very dirty, and dark, and the bay windows were so encrusted with filth that they could barely see through them. The place was filled with rough wooden tables with stubs of candles sitting upon their surfaces. The stone floor of the place was so dirty that it looked as though there was not a floor at all, but instead that the building was simply built on open ground.

"Drink away, my friends" said Grindelwald, a look of satisfaction plastered upon his pale face. "Enjoy yourselves tonight... for tomorrow," the room fell silent, all sharp faces turned to glance at their master. "We fight."

They all shouted in unison, raising their wands in the air and shooting spells toward the ceiling, causing the chandeliers to break in pieces, falling to the ground. The sound was deafening. Further down the room, a tall wizard was holding Aberforth against him, his wand placed against his neck with a firm grip. Ariana made a straight line toward them, lifting her wand at the wizard.