22. Awarded

'Fear is not real.

It is the product of thoughts you create.

Danger is very real, but fear is a choice.'

Hermione walked toward the Headmaster's office accompanied by Professor Albus Dumbledore the next day; she had received a letter confirming that her detention had been decided. She was trembling. How could she have been so stupid as to use an unforgivable on a student?

"Miss Lockhart," said Dumbledore, turning to face her after whispering the password to the gargoyle. "You shall take it from here by yourself. Whatever your punishment might be you must accept it, do you understand? You were very lucky Professor Dippet agreed to let you stay after the -- incident."

Hermione nodded her head embarrassedly and watched as Dumbledore walked down the corridor, his long blue and silver robes flying behind him. She ascended up the stairs inside the office, where the feeble looking man awaited her behind the usual piles of parchments and many, many quills to choose from.

"I shall begin by taking eighty points from your house," said Dippet, breathing heavily through his long, pointed nose. "Even though your fellow classmates don't deserve it."

Hermione bit her lip and nodded her head, glancing down at her lap when she sat across from him. "Your punishment also involves a small task." He added.

"You shall help our caretaker, Apollyon Pringle, collect all unicorns to a safe place. Lately, they've been missing or showing up dead. " He paused to eye her reaction. Hermione shivered faintly and averted her gaze to the window. Sure he couldn't be serious, could he? The Forbidden Forest is a restricted area for all students; she had been there, and she did not wish to go back. It's extremely dangerous.

"Not afraid are you?" Dippet asked, "I'm sure someone capable of using an unforgivable mercilessly is able to protect themselves as well." He added almost nastily, and he turned to face his previous work, dismissing her with a simple wave of his hand.

As she walked out the office, Alecto Carrow and Malfoy could be seen snickering at the end of the hall. Hermione didn't move. She looked at them furiously, but then dropped her gaze. She had to accept it, after all deep down, she knew she deserved this, - actually she deserved worse.

"Right then," said a middle aged man with long dark hair and yellow teeth, "so you must be the lady accompanying me tonight."

He smirked at her and trailed a long finger down her neck. He had appeared out of nowhere and Hermione didn't even have time to process what was happening; she was in pure shock.

"Mr. Pringle," someone called from down the hall, causing the nasty looking man to step away from her with a clear groan. Hermione glared at the spot where Malfoy and the Carrow girl had been to find it empty. Instead, strolling elegantly from the opposite way, was Tom Riddle, eyeing the caretaker suspiciously.

"What, Riddle?" He growled.

Riddle tilted his head to the side, eyeing the man menacingly as though a lion eyeing its prey before attacking. "I believe a few first years back at the Entrance Hall need to be escorted to the Headmaster. " He snarled. "Mischievous eleven year olds destroyed an important artefact."

Pointing his finger at Tom, the caretaker glared at him with the same intimidating look in his eyes." Why don't you do it then, Riddle? Aren't you a Prefect?"