13. Swirling in Memories - Part 1

The both students walked inside the office cautiously. It was a large and beautiful circular room with numerous books stood on spindle-legged tables. The walls were covered with portraits of old headmasters and headmistresses, all of whom were snoozing gently in their frames. There was also an enormous, claw-footed desk, and, sitting on a shelf behind it, a shabby, tainted wizard's hat - the Sorting Hat. Hermione noticed the lack of Dumbledore's funny instruments, from when he was the Headmaster back in her time. The aura of the room felt different.

"Don't just stand there, silly girl." Snarled Riddle suddenly. "Begin to look for it." Hermione glared at him furiously, her hands bawling into fists on her sides. Upon noticing her reaction, Tom grabbed his wand and pointed it at her menacingly. "Do as I say now."

"Aren't I helping you already?" she cried helplessly. Hermione thought she was crossing the line with Tom, but she was getting herself into a mess as well for him, and no way in hell would she allow it. "Why? Why do you need the pensieve? "

"That's none of your concern" he roared at her, lounging forward and grabbing the collar of her robes. 

"Tell me why do you want it for? Whose memories do you want to see? " She mumbled as a few tears escaped her big brown eyes. Riddle's grip tightened around her neck and she began to choke. "I j-just w-want to help y-you." she stuttered. "I could b-be your friend..."

Riddle's grip loosened immediately and he stepped away from her, leaving her sliding to the floor while holding her neck in pain. He eyed her skeptically before resuming to search every shelf for the pensieve.

After a while, Hermione stood from the floor, her breathing collected and with a now steady heartbeat. She glanced around the office intently before her eyes locked on a cabinet beside the door. She immediately recognized it. She had found it - the pensieve.

Turning her gaze back to Riddle, who had his back facing her, she took in a deep breath and thought if she should tell him or not. "I don't have any friends." Said Riddle suddenly, startling a very self-conflicted Hermione. "Never had. Don't need any. It's such a waste of time."

Hermione stood silent for a moment, absorbing what he had just said. Of course Voldemort never had friends, she knew he considered it a weakness; the only thing the Dark Lord cared about was power. Only power. But the way he had said it, almost made her believe that somewhere deep down, a part of him just wished to be like the others, to have what other people have. To be normal.

At that moment, Harry's voice erupted in her mind, reminding her of the encounter they had had with Voldemort when Sirius had died. "You're the weak one. And you'll never know love, or friendship. And I feel sorry for you."

"Let me be your friend." Her eyes widened. She didn't know why she had said that; Maybe the mere prospect of meeting someone so cold, so heartless, so lonely made her want to try and change him. She thought, maybe, just maybe, Tom was just misunderstood; had he had someone to show him friendship, perhaps things could've had turned out differently. But he didn't have, and that's why she was here. To change things.

Hopefully.

"Let me help you." She whispered. Riddle had now been facing her with a blank expression. His eyes followed her curiously as she walked toward the cabinet. When Hermione moved back to him, she was holding a shallow stone basin etched with odd markings around its rim. She placed the Pensieve on the desk in front of Tom. 

Tom had been eyeing both the Pensieve and Hermione with some apprehension. In his hands now stood the two phials he was eager to explore; the two memories he desired to see. But Hermione's previous words and the fact that she had indeed helped him willingly, was making him uncomfortable. He glared at her; she was focused on the silver liquid inside the crystal phials he was holding. "You don't wish to befriend me, Lockhart."