Chapter 5 - Be Brave

So I attached a picture with the actresses I imagine playing some of my characters. In case anyone else wants to use them as they read. Can we all pause a moment and just appreciate what a babe Jai Courtney is? Sigh.

Corrine

I hadn't told anyone about the extra help Eric was offering me. Not even my brother. I didn't want to be looked at differently or treated worse than I already was.

Mostly everyone else was at dinner, but I sat in the room with my back pressed against the wall and my knees pulled up to my chest. I didn't have an appetite after being in the infirmary. As I sat alone with my thoughts, a boy with blonde curly hair walks into the room and walks over to me.

"Hey. I haven't introduced myself, I'm Ricky." He smiles. And it's a very nice smile.

"Corrine." I shake his hand and he sits on the other end of my cot.

"Why are you in here alone?"

"I'm not hungry. And I'm embarrassed." I put my head in my knees.

"Why? Because you collapsed like two seconds before I was getting ready to? Don't be embarrassed." He says kindly.

I look up at him and give him the best smile I can muster.

"I've just wanted this a long time. And I'm screwing it up."

"Don't worry so much. C'mon, we should go check the ranking board." He puts his hand out for me. I take his hand and let him pull me up.

"I already know where I am on the ranking board, Ricky."

"Humor me then." He smiles again. So I nod and follow him through the corridors.

The other initiates are waiting in the Pit staring up at the board, waiting for it to read day ones results. I stand towards the back and cross my arms at is my chest. Finn touches my shoulder to let me know he is there, and stands next to me.

As predicted, when the board lights up with our names, mine is at the bottom. Finn is above the line already with no worries.

"Great job, Finn." I tell him.

"You can get back up, Cor. You can." He looks into my eyes, trying to make me believe him. I nod.

"Hey, Finn! Come on, we are getting tattoos!" One of the others shouts.

"Come on, Corrine, this is what we need." He pulls on my wrist and I follow him and few others to the tattoo shop.

I look around the walls at all the designs. Not sure whether or not I'll be getting anything. Finn shows me the lion head he wants to have tattooed on his chest, it's big, but it fits him. Lions are symbols of bravery, and my brother is very brave.

The one that catches my eye, is a picture of a beautiful bird, flying out of a cage. For me, this would symbolize me perfectly. My escape from my Abnegation cage. I grab the design from the wall and take it to one of the artists, who I recognize as my test administrator, Tori.

"Thought I'd see you eventually, kid." She says, cleaning the counter.

"I'm here. Barely."

"Hang in there. You aren't the only Abnegation turned Dauntless to come through here and make it."

"Really? Do I know them?"

"Most likely. Four came from Abnegation."

"He did? I never would of thought that.." I bite my lip.

"Hey! You're getting a tattoo?" I hear Ricky say as he approaches me.

"Oh, um yeah. I'd like this one." I hand the design to Tori, she smiles approvingly and leads me to a chair, sitting me in a chair, leaning forward, so the tattoo can be placed on the back of my shoulder.

"This will only hurt a second." She says, attaching the equipment to my skin.

"You can hold my hand if you want." Ricky smirks. I slowly put my small hand into his and squeeze his fingers as Tori puts the ink into my skin. It feels like a pinch, and it's over.

"There ya go, kid." Tori hands me a mirror.

"Looks great, Corrine." Ricky smiles and squeezes my hand once more.

A wide, toothy grin spreads across my face as I look at my new ink. It's beautiful. And I can't believe I've just done it. I desecrated my body. And in this moment, I'm proud of myself.

I walk with my brother and Ricky back into the pit, they insist I eat something, and I can't deny that I'm hungry now, that I feel in better spirits.

There are some other Dauntless there, standing around and laughing, drinking beer and talking amongst themselves. Eric and Four are among them, mostly standing off to the side. Eric's eyes meet mine and he walks away from Four over to me. Ricky and Finn see who it is and keep walking the other way.

"Hi, Corrine." Eric says. It seems like maybe he's been drinking quite a bit. I hold back a smile.

"Hi, Eric." I say quietly.

"Feeling better now?" He asks. His eyes searching mine, in case I lie to him.

"Um, yes. Im fine. Thank you for asking."

"Good. I'll..I'll see you in the morning." He steps very close to me as he says it, our faces almost touching, before he sidesteps me and walks back over to Four. My body doesn't move right away, feeling a bit shocked from the almost contact.

"Corrine!" Finn shouts and I snap out of my thoughts and walk towards them.

For the first time since I've been here, I'm looking forward to something. I'm looking forward to seeing Eric tomorrow. As crazy as it sounds and as stupid as it may seem.

I can't wait.