Chapter 28 - Gone

As usual, here I sit, apologizing for taking so long to update this. I cannot express how grateful I am for all the reads this has gotten. Thank you guys so much.

Corrine

He left. He really just walked away from me. I stand in the empty room with my chest heaving up and down, and tears pricking the corners of my eyes. What the hell have I done?

After I've collected myself enough to walk, I head towards the sleeping quarters to find my brother. Thankfully, he's there and not busy.

"Corrine? What's going on?" He stands up and grips my shoulders to steady me.

"I um..he's gone. Eric's gone. He left."

"Where did he go?"

"I'm not sure."

"You mean he isn't coming back?"

"No Finn, I don't think he's coming back."

"What happened? Tell me everything."

"We got into an argument. I told him we should stay here, we need the help...we need safety and he won't stay because Zachariah is his father, his real father." I explain.

"Whoa. This is some other worldly stuff. Eric was born Factionless?" Finn asks.

"Yes. His mother gave him to a Dauntless couple who couldn't have children."

Finn takes a deep breath. And runs his hands through his hair, before his eyes meet mine again.

"I'm sorry, Corrine. I know you're hurting. But what do we do now?" My brother asks me.

"I'm not sure. We need to find out what they'll have us do if we stay. Eric seemed to think Zachariah would have is working as slaves."

"I'm no ones slave, Corrine. How do we know that isn't true?

"We don't. I'm trying to make decisions that benefit us all, Finn. I want us to be safe. And I don't want to run forever." I move my hair away from my face.

"Eric isn't the type to lie about things like this. I'm feeling more and more uneasy about this." He says.

"I know. I just wanted to try." I shrug.

Before we can continue talking, a loud booming voice echoes through the room, I almost jump from the sudden disturbance.

"You two, come with me." The toothless man from the train says. I can see behind him, that there are two others holding Ricky and Marie against their will.

"Where are you taking us?" I take a step back.

"Just upstairs, that's all." He smiles and moves towards me again. My stomach churns.

"Get any closer, and I'll break your face." I threaten.

"Oh come on Dauntless, you can do better than that." He taunts me.

"Don't test me." I glare at him.

"What are you going to do without your big bad body guard here to protect you, princess? You don't scare me." He grins.

"I should." Is all I reply. I can think of atleast seven different ways to kill this man just from looking around the room. My training was not done in vein.