Chapter 22 - I Spy

So many reads you guys, I'm blown away! Thank you for continuing to vote, it truly makes my day.

Corrine

There were only a few days left before the final round of the mental stage. I had managed to get through my fear landscape at a decent pace when Eric was with me, now I just needed to remember everything he said while I was in it alone.

Marie and I were talking at the breakfast table, she had just finished telling me how she thought Ricky was so good looking, when I noticed Janine Mathews walking above us, towards Max's office. I don't like that she's been here so much, it's unsettling.

"I'll be right back." I tell Marie, she huffs when I interrupt her but waves me away.

I walk to the corridor that leads to Max's office. I'm done feeling this way, and I'm going to figure out what's going on.

I wait until I see everyone go inside the room, before I quietly walk over to the door, pushing it open only a crack and hoping it doesn't make any noise. My heart is working over time, my adrenaline getting the best of me as my hands shake.

I breathe unevenly as I bring my eye up the crack in the door, looking inside. I can see Max at his large desk, his hands clasped in front of him. Janine and another man sit in the chairs in front of his desk, and Eric and someone else stand on each side of Max. I lean in close and listen intently.

"Is it finished?" Max asks.

"Nearly. There are only a few minor things to work out. Have you developed a way to get them to take the serum?" Janine asks, crossing her legs in her blue pencil skirt. Her voice causes me to shudder.

"We tell them it's a tracking device, or a vaccine. It will be enough to keep them from asking questions." Eric says. He looks so different in this setting. His hair slicked back again, jaw tight, with a scowl on his face.

"Good. Then we need to start the final preparations for removing the Abnegation. We get rid of them all completely." Janine says. She says it like it's anything. Like killing an entire faction is normal.

I feel myself gasp and my breath shakes, I reach up quickly and cover my mouth with my hand.

"Do you have someone outside the door?" Max asks Janine.

"No. But I heard someone." She motions for one of her guards to check the door. I stayed frozen too long.

Before I could turn and run, one of them was grabbing my arm so hard it was sure to leave bruises. He whips me around and wraps my hands behind my back, holding them there no matter how hard I fought against him. I kicked back against his kneecap as hard as I could, he grunts and loosens his grip enough for me to get out of it.

I start running again, only to grabbed by Janine's other guard. He slaps me across the face, a small whimper leaving my lips. I stopped fighting, as he drug me into Max's office.

"Who's this?" Janine asks, standing from her chair, eyeing me up and down. I look up in time to see Eric's eyes meet mine, his going wide and he steps towards me.

"She's an initiate. What are you doing here?" Max asks.

"I was just passing by." I say between my clenched teeth. The guard twists my arm harder behind me.

"She heard something." Janine says.

"No, I swear. I didn't hear anything."

"She's lying. Get rid of her." Janine motions to her guards to take me away.

"Get rid of me?" My voice squeaks.

"You're a liability. Kill her." The heartless bitch says. She's as hard as stone, no remorse in her voice as she orders away my life.