Chapter 20 - Heartfelt

Hi beautiful people :) I think I'm probably about halfway through this book, maybe a little less. But anyways, Sorry if this one is short, I'll be updating again really soon! Vote and comment please!

Corrine

I felt like I was having a panic attack. I can't believe the way I reacted to the simulation. Because that's exactly what it was, a simulation. The people that I hold dearest to me here, would never leave me to die. Or in Eric's case, send me plummeting into the chasm.

My boots were halfway tied up, my laces slapping against the ground as I jogged through the corridors. I pushed my hair away from my face, sweat causing it to stick to my neck. I had to find him.

I came around a corner without looking, bumping into someone hard enough to stumble backwards.

"Corrine! I've been looking for you everywhere." My brother stood in front of me, a sincere look of worry on his face.

"Finn...Finn I'm so sorry that I freaked out on you.." I tried to explain.

"Stop. It's okay. You're just scaring me. We've been so close our whole lives and you're pulling away from me."

"I'm not. I'm trying to stay alive, Finn."

"We are supposed to do this together, remember? Since the first time we saw the Dauntless jump off that train when we were five? Together, Corrine." Finn breathes deeply as he finishes.

I look down at my feet. I never meant to make Finn feel as though I've abandoned him. I need to make it right. I look up into his eyes, the same eyes me both share, our fathers eyes. A small whimper leaves my lips as I close the space between us and crush him into a hug.

"I'm sorry." I sob on his shoulder.

"We are getting through this. We are going to be the best damn Dauntless this place has seen." He squeezes my shoulders and pulls away.

"You're right. So, so right." I wipe the tears off my face.

"I know. Now, hurry up and go find Eric."

"How do you know that's where I was going?"

"Because I saw the look on his face after you ran out. He was broken up about it. No one else would of noticed, but I could see it."

"He was?" I felt my chest aching at the thought of hurting him.

"Get going, would ya!" He pushes me towards the next corridor.

"I love you, Ya know?" I tell him before I leave.

"Yeah yeah. I'll see you later." My brother smiles and jogs back the way he came.

I take a deep breath before I start running again. I run past several others before I reach the corridor that contains Eric's apartment. I make sure no one is around before I dash towards his door, I knock on it several times before I chicken out.

I bounce on the heels of my feet as I wait for him to open the door. It finally swings open, his face looks hurt, his eyebrows scrunched together in confusion.

"Corrine..what's going on?" His chest rises and falls quickly.

"I...I need to talk to you. Please."

He ponders what I've said a moment before he grabs my wrist and pulls me inside his apartment quickly.

"Eric.." I start.

"No. It's time for you to listen to me." He says. I look at him a bit shocked, but I nod, letting him know to continue.

"Do you trust me?" He asks with a shaky breath.

"Of course..." I whisper.

"It didn't seem like it today. I'm not going to hurt you, not ever. And after the sim today, you looked at me like I was monster, when you're the only thing keeping my demons at bay." He paces back and forth as he speaks.

"Eric...you are not a monster. I'm sorry for how I reacted. I don't know what came over me.."

"You wouldn't let me help you. You have start controlling your fear before you're knocked below the line again. Before I lose you." He says the last part quietly and rubbed his temples.

"I know. I can't apologize enough.."

"Then stop apologizing!" He shouts, stepping closer to me, causing me to press my back against the door.

"What do you want me to do then?" I look at him, but I'm not afraid. I just ache for him.

"I want you to understand, that it terrifies me what I would do for you. I would cut my soul into a million pieces to make sure you found your way back to me." He walks towards me slowly, standing just inches from me now.

My mouth is hanging open in awe of what he's said. It's so rare to get Eric to talk about the way he feels that when he does it always shocks me. I reach my hand out and brush my fingertips over the back of his hand, asking for permission to lace my fingers with his.

He sighs deeply at my touch, lacing his fingers with mine and pulling my body flush against his.

"I need you to know that I'm sorry. I was scared, and I'm stubborn. I didn't give you a chance to help me when I should of. Just please...don't think that I'm afraid of you." I move my hands up to cup his face, tracing his jaw.

"Nothing scares me more than making you afraid of me, Corrine."

"I'm not afraid." I whisper one last time before his lips meet mine. It's soft and slow at first, only lips sliding over each other over and over.

His hands crawl up my back and under my shirt, pulling it off over my head as they move up. Our lips only part long enough to pull the shirt completely off, then we attach out lips again quickly. This time the kisses are harder and more needy. Because I need him. I need him like I need the air to breathe.

"Corrine...I want you to run to me when you're afraid or in trouble...not away from me. Not ever again." He says against my lips.

"I'm not going anywhere." I kiss his lips once more, as he picks me up and lays me against the unmade covers of his bed. I wrap my legs tightly around his waist, keeping him as close to me as possible.

The only reason I have to be afraid, is the fear of losing him. I'm not ready for the fear landscape to show me that fear, because when it reaches deep enough to find that fear, it will exploit it. But I will have to remember this moment, and the words he spoke to me and I will no longer be afraid.