Chapter 13 - The Line That Defines

I honestly cannot believe how many reads this is getting. It may not seem like a lot to some but holy crap it's a lot for me! I hope that means you guys are liking it! Thanks so much!

Corrine

It's been four weeks. Four weeks now since we joined Dauntless. And that means the first stage of training is almost over. Today, we play war games, and if I don't win, I'm going to be factionless.

As hard as I've tried and as hard as Eric has been helping me, I haven't stayed above the line. Some days have been good, and I know I've improved, even winning two fights over the weeks, but it's just not good enough.

Eric has been distant, being extra careful not to make anything obvious. There have only been a few stolen kisses and small conversations in our morning training sessions. And it's almost like torture. Not being able to touch him, or kiss him when I want. Not being able to talk to him in front of anyone. I just have to keep telling myself that it won't be this way forever.

The sun has just gone down, as we stand on the train, vests strapped to our chests and guns in our hands.

"The bullets in these, only simulate the feeling of a real gunshot, the feeling only lasts for a few minutes before it wears off." Four explains.

"Four and I are the captains, we are splitting you into two teams. War games is like capture the flag, first team to capture the other teams flag, wins." Eric explains.

"You can pick first." Four says. Eric just nods at him.

"Jared." Eric says, only making eye contact with me for a moment. I'm not allowed to feel hurt about the fact that he didn't pick me. So I just look away.

"I pick Corrine then." Four says with a smirk.

"What?" I ask.

"You're on my team, Corrine."

I bite my lip and go to stand behind Four. Eric's face contorts into a look of anger. He's terrifying when he gets that way. I thought he would eventually pick me, maybe last to not make it obvious. But now I wouldn't be on his team at all.

Luckily, Four also picks Ricky and Marie for his team, so I'm not alone. But my brother is on Eric's team. We continue riding the train until we reach the area where Four has decided he wants to hide the flag.

This area used to be an amusement park. Though I see nothing amusing about the huge rides and tall platforms. Four places the flag on the old carousel and walks back over to us.

"We need to make a plan." He states.

Everyone starts shooting off ideas. Trying to talk over one another. What we need to be doing, is finding where Eric took his flag. He would take it somewhere no one would think to look. Somewhere completely obvious, so much so, that it would be hard to find.

I know exactly where he's taken it.

"Four." I say quietly, but he doesn't respond.

"Four!" I shout louder, and everyone turns to look at me.

"What is it, Corrine?" He says walking over to me.

"I know where he's taken the flag. I know where he's hiding it." I say, my cheeks flushing.

"How could you possibly know that?" Marie asks.

"I have..I just have a really good feeling." I say.

"No offense, Corrine, but we can't make a plan off of a feeling." Four tells me.

"Could you all just trust me? Just this one time?" I ask. I grip my gun tighter in my hand.