Chapter 31 - When All Hope Is Gone

Hi. Sorry for not updating more quickly. Just wanted to ask again though, would anyone want a sequel to this book? I have two different endings in mind and one of them depends on whether or not I do a sequel. Opinions? And thank you guys for getting this book over 20,000 reads. It blows my mind.

Corrine

I have nothing left to give.

I never thought I would have to watch one of my friends die right in front of me. It's a more tragic thing than anyone could ever imagine. It hurts. It's the most hurtful thing I've felt.

Now, we find ourselves just on the other side of the fence. We opened the gate and ran through and none of the gunmen followed. So we took a minute to collect ourselves. To let it sink in that Ricky would not be with us anymore.

"Take your time baby, breathe." Eric coos into my ear as he holds my exhausted body against him.

"This is my fault." I say.

"You can't blame yourself for this. He knew the risks when he came with us. We all do." He says into my hair.

"How long are you going to pretend like it isn't my fault Eric? That this isn't all happening because of me?" I push away from him a little, his hands still holding onto my shaking frame.

"I'm not pretending, Corrine. This isn't your damn fault." His voice gets a little louder.

"Stop it. Stop trying to make me feel better." I push away farther.

"No. You stop it, Corrine." I hear my brother say from behind me. "You don't get to feel guilty about this. I'm not giving you the satisfaction." Finn says.

"What are you talking about?" I ask confused.

"Feeling sorry for yourself isn't an option. So stop it. You can't be weak or you'll be the next one with bullet holes." Finns jaw is tense, almost frightening me a little.

"Calm down, Finn." Eric says.

"No. We came with you two because we trust you. We aren't idiots, we knew we could be killed. But she wants to stand here and feel sorry for herself because Ricky died then I won't follow you anymore. He died, he's the one we should be feeling sorry for!" Finn says angrily. He's so angry.

"Finn...I wasn't trying to make the attention on me...he was my friend too." I sob.

"Then act like it! Act like you want to do something about it instead of crying over something that has nothing to do with you!" Finn turns and walks away, Marie reaches for him but he pushes her hand away.

"Finn, wait!" I say, but Eric grabs my wrist and holds me back from going after him.

"Let him cool off. He won't go far." Eric looks at me with apologizing eyes.

"He's right. I'm being selfish." I shrug my shoulders.

"Everyone deals with death differently. But the only people we should blame for this are all those traitors back inside the fence. You can't blame yourself." Eric explains.

"Aren't we the traitors, Eric?" I say weakly.

"No. They are the ones who want to murder innocent people for pathetic reasons." He shakes his head in frustration.

The sun is starting to go down and we have no idea what lies ahead of us. We don't know what's out there. We don't know if there's anything out there at all. It could be more dangerous out here than it is inside the fence.