Chapter 30 - Escape

Hello loves. Sorry this has taken so long. So many books, so little time. And the holidays messed up my updating schedule even more lol. Haven't gotten much feedback on whether anyone would like to read a sequel. Anyways, enjoy the update. :)

Corrine

Run or die.

That's what our lives have come to. Every muscle in my body ached, and gripped tightly to Eric's hand, running close behind him.

I could feel my brother and Marie running close to my side and Ricky ran next to Eric.

We had to get back to the train. The only option we had now, was to get to the fence and escape to the other side. Away from its protective boundaries. But we were not protected here anymore, we were the hunted, we were wanted by too many people.

I killed someone today. I knew when I joined Dauntless that I might have to take someone's life, but I never expected to do it for the reason I did. I did it because I love Eric, and because his life was in danger. I would do it again in a heart beat.

I didn't like how it felt. My body went rigid as I watched the life leave the toothless mans body. But I didn't get time to recover, we had to start running again.

"Corrine?" Eric says, his breaths coming quick. I looked at him. "Are you ready?" He says.

He motions towards the train that's coming towards us quickly. All I can do is nod as we pick up our pace, my body using every last ounce of strength it has to catch up to the train.  We grab onto the handle bars and quickly pull ourselves in.

"What are we going to see on the other side of that fence, Eric?" Finn asks, short of breath.

"Your guess is as good as mine, honestly." Eric answers him quickly, then turns back to me, his hands cupping my face.

"I'm okay, Eric." I try to assure him.

"What did he do to you?" He asks quietly.

"It's nothing. I don't want to think of it anymore." I try to pull away from him but he keeps his hold on my face.

"Corrine..." He says sternly. I know he will never drop it if I don't give him something.

"He roughed me up, okay? But it doesn't matter, I killed him." I wrap my hands around his wrists as he continues to hold me.

"I'm going to kill Zachariah. He's going to regret this.." Eric clenches his teeth.

"No. No more. You could of been killed. I prayed you wouldn't come back for me, Eric."

"You're insane if you think I wouldn't of come back. I was already on my way back when I heard you were in danger!" His voice gets a little louder.

"I love you." I blurt out. He goes to open his mouth, like he already had another part of his argument planned out, and then closes it again, as he looks at me.

"I love you. You have to know that I do." He gently presses his forehead to mine.

"I know." I answer quietly, his lips finding mine gently. My bottom lip aches from being busted, but I find so much comfort in the way his lips fit against mine that I don't want it to ever stop.

"We stay together from now on. I'm not ever leaving you again." He breathes against my lips.

"Together. Always." I say before Eric gently pecks my lips once more.

"The fence is coming up." Finn says behind us. Eric nods and pulls me into his side as we look out the train car.

The fence was huge, and it wrapped all the way around what was left of the city. It was tall and made of steel cables. There were places made for Dauntless to stand and watch for activity. However, there never was any.

When we got close enough, we all jumped off and rolled to the ground. I got up slowly, my ribs aching still. Eric wrapped his strong arms around my body and helped me up, and I kissed his cheek to thank him.

"Let's go." Eric said.

We found an opening in the fence, one that was there for the Amity to use to get to the fields right outside the fence. We hadn't been noticed yet, by the Dauntless guards, but I spoke too soon.

Bullets start flying towards us, hitting off the ground and spraying up dirt. I grabbed the gun I had on my hip and started firing back over my shoulder as we ran. We had to get out of range.

We kept running, and I noticed that Ricky wasn't with us. I start to feel panic rush over me. I stop dead in my tracks.

"Eric, where's Ricky!?" I shout. Eric stops running and looks around, not seeing him either.

That's when I hear a coughing noise coming from a few yards away. And without thinking, I take off running back towards it, closer to the bullets flying right at me. When I reach the noise I see my friend, one of my only friends, lying against the ground, two bullet holes bleeding out against his rib cage.

I fall to the ground next to him, Marie coming up behind me and falling to her knees next to me.

"Ricky...no no no. We can get you up. We can carry you with us." I say, tears spilling over my eyes.

"You know that's not happening, Corrine." Ricky tries to smile through the pain, coughing again. Another set of bullets hit the ground near us as we cover our heads.

"I'm not leaving you here." I sob. I push some of his curly blonde hair away from his sweaty face.

"I'm not going to make.." He says quietly.

"You will. You can." I cry again.

"Thanks for brining me with you Corrine...for giving me something to live for. I still owe you." Ricky says, his eyes fluttering shut.

I watch my best friends life fade from his body. His chest stops moving. His head falls to the side. I can't hear myself anymore, but I know I'm screaming. Eric's arms wrap around my midsection and pull me to my feet, making me turn and run from the oncoming rain of bullets.

Ricky risked his life to leave dauntless with me. He came willingly and with little hesitation. We believed in eachother. Trusted each other.

I look over my shoulder one last time, as his lifeless body goes out of view and the unbearable pain of losing him rushes over me. I know Marie and my brother are feeling the same pain, the pain of losing someone so constant in out lives.

Nothing is guaranteed.

Life is short.

And I'll never forget Ricky West.

I know this is short guys. And sad. I'm trying to get back to a regular updating schedule, bare with me loves. I hope this is atleast an okay update.