Chapter 11 - I Wont Tell A Soul

What's up beautiful people? I'm enjoying writing this one, it's a lot of fun for me to imagine Eric in a different way and to keep molding Corrine into a better character. Anyways, I made a cool picture thingy again. It's tattoo themed, check it out! I added a video, it's a cover of the song I really wanted to put up, so it's not the greatest, but it's I Won't Tell A Soul by Charlie Puth, fits this chapter perfectly.

Corrine

In my time here at Dauntless I never would of imagined Eric running through the corridors with me on his back, laughing and smiling wildly. But that's what was happening. He dashed through the halls, sneaking passed anyone who was keeping watch. I didn't pay much attention to where we were going, I was too focused on how close I was to him.

We stopped in front of a tall ladder that lead up through a small opening. Eric sat me down carefully, making sure I wasn't still wobbly.

"You're okay?" He asks, touching the sore spot on my head. I scrunched my eyes and winced.

"It's just a bit sore. I'm okay." I smile at him reassuringly. He nods and motions for me to climb up the ladder. "Where does this go?"

"You'll see. Just trust me." He puts his hand on my back and lightly pushes me forward towards the ladder.

I bite my lip and put my hands on the cold bars of the ladder. I'm not comfortable with heights right now. So I have to close my eyes and attempt to navigate up the ladder. I keep going at a steady pace, only losing my balance once, but Eric is right behind me, and he steadies me with his hands on my hips.

"Thank you." I say without looking down.

"You're doing good, just keep going." He says kindly.

I climb the rest of the way up, hoisting myself through the opening and waiting for Eric to climb through.

When I'm finally able to focus on my surroundings, I notice we have climbed onto the roof of one of the buildings. The cool night whips my hair around my face and my eyes to water a little. I get to my feet and walk to the edge of the building, placing my hands on the tall lip that will keep me from falling to my death.

I can see everything. More buildings. Dull lights shine from the ground. A few people walking around here and there. I can see and hear the train off in the distance. And I can see the fence, the long and tall structure that supposedly protects us from anything outside of it. I breathe in deeply, cherishing the way it feels. I don't have to turn around to feel Eric's presence behind me.

"This is amazing." I say, without turning around.

"I come up here when I need to think. Need to get away. Just be alone." He says.

"Do you ever get tired of being alone?" I ask.

"I used to think being alone was the best way. But lately my feelings about it are different." He walks and stands next to me by the ledge.

"Why do you feel different?"

"Because I want to spend time with you. I want to know you and hear you talk about nothing important. Do you understand how hard this is for me to say?" He laughs a little and I smile back at him.

"You're afraid." I smirk.

"What? I am absolutely not afraid. That's ridiculous." He huffs.

"Is it? So I don't scare you at all?" I tease him.

"Not in the slightest." He tries to stand taller and puff out his chest.

I put my fear of heights away for a moment, stepping up onto the ledge of the building, but not looking down. I just needed to prove a point to him.